Author Topic: H.M.S. Aurora: Accident at Greenock (Clyde) 1 officer 14 men Drowned, Nov' 1874  (Read 314 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Some weeks ago I was offered a 'hint' for a distant relative see the document:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/60522/images/43283_adm_188_9-0359

With the help of other RootsChat'ers I read that George Edward Dodson (b 1855, Bathford), drowned whilst serving on HMS Aurora.

I have since been searching the Internet in an attempt to discover any 'Story' connecting George Edward Dodson's drowning with his service on H.M.S. Aurora, I have now discovered an interesting commentary at:
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000587/18750102/030/0010 continued on . . . /0011
I have since tried and failed to find a list of names of those 15 casualties to see if Geo' Edw' Dodson name is thereon.  Is it likely that such a list might be found, or where-else I might look to see where, if anywhere his death has been 'formally' recorded?

Thank you, JohnG_Swansea.

Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: H.M.S. Aurora: Accident at Greenock (Clyde) 1 officer 14 men Drowned, Nov' 1874
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 June 21 00:04 BST (UK) »
Is this any help?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: H.M.S. Aurora: Accident at Greenock (Clyde) 1 officer 14 men Drowned, Nov' 1874
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 21 00:13 BST (UK) »
The death of George Edward Dodson, aged 20, was registered at Greenock Old or West in 1874. His death certificate is on ScotlandsPeople.

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 21 10:25 BST (UK) »
I thank you both for your contributions to the research on my wife's ancestors, I think that 'George Dobson' in the 'Morning Post' along with the George Dodson details on 'ScotlandsPeople' provides a credible closure to the short life of George Edward Dodson.

Thankyou both, JohnG_Swansea
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.