Author Topic: Elizabeth Holdstock who married Edward Osborne Tunbridge are in Kent  (Read 776 times)

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Holdstock who married Edward Osborne Tunbridge are in Kent
« on: Thursday 17 June 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth source reference for Elizabeth Holdstock, many people on ancestry (I'm presuming have all copied each other as usual without reference) have the birth date for Elizabeth Holdstock as 11 November 1754, in Kemsing/Egerton in Kent. However, I cannot find any reference to this, I've tried ancestry docs, findmypast, thewealds (Kent opc website) and National Archives sources etc...

I am related to her through Edward Osborne b. 1780 Shipborne, Tunbridge Wells, (findmypast)
which states parents were Edward Osborne, and Elizabeth.

Parents Edward Osborne and Elizabeth Holdstock were married in Kemsing St Mary, Tunbridge in 1775 (findmypast)

I then have Edward Osborne b. 1749 in Shipborne St.Giles, Tunbridge Wells

However, I cannot find where many people have got Elizabeth Holdstocks birth of November 1754 in the Kemsing/Egerton area and her presumed parents William Holdstock and Elizabeth Cooper...

Any help appreciated.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Holdstock who married Edward Osborne Tunbridge are in Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 June 21 15:54 BST (UK) »
  There is a baptism of Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Holdstock 25th Jan. 1743/44, at Wittersham. This is quite a way from the area you mention. My geography of West Kent is a bit vague, but I think Kemsing and Egerton are not very close to each other?
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline 3lle00

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
Ah yes I believe they are far apart, Shipborne and Kemsing are viable as only around 5 miles apart by the crow flies, I think I only saw one other person put Egerton...so mentioned it anyway :)

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 June 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
It looks like the Ancestry info is American invention to suit their needs of getting  their lines back as far as Jesus ,Joseph, Mary and the Wee Donkey. :)

The only option that I can see that could solve your problem may be.

Elizabeth Holdstock,  Christening:7 July 1765, Egerton, Kent, 
Parents William Holdstock (Bn 1738 Egerton,)and Elizabeth Holdstock.(nee Cooper bn 1840 Egerton) Married 04 Dec 1764 at Sy James Egerton.

Sourced from Family Search and Find My Past.

The original reg entry below is on FindMyPast  Shows Birth Date as June 21st 1765

Good Luck  ;D
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent