Author Topic: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Only a little over 6 months to go now, sadly there would be many individuals across The World will not have survived the pandemic, and their misfortune to leave behind years of incomplete records must not be forgotten.

However, STILL no word from the sweaty hands at FindMyPast in relation to the cost per page to print our own copy. At least we could have expected a date WHEN they intend to drop the 'bombshell' price ;D

I do hope that this time any responses will exclude those who would pay any price for FindMyPast to recoup their outlay!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 June 21 20:38 BST (UK) »
We'll have to wait and see, won't we?   But then not all of us expect everything for nothing  :-X

And a question - are you contributing anything, either paid or otherwise?  :-X

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 June 21 20:56 BST (UK) »
I'd doubt 'any' commercial enterprise would advertise prices 6 months in advance.

Though we will 'all' have the option, should we not be happy with the charges, to visit TNA and view the census without charge.

For me, the travel costs plus the need for at least an overnight stay in an hotel would definitely outweigh the cost of viewing online at a charge via FindMyPast from the comfort of my own home.

Just as ordering copies of records from local archives works out to be 'cost effective' for me.

I make the decision - do I really want this record? If the answer is yes then I find the cheapest way of doing it. If that is outside the budget then I do without till the budget can stretch to it.

Choices, we each decide.

Boo

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 June 21 22:27 BST (UK) »
Why shouldn't those who might be prepared to shell out more than you not get a input?

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 21 06:04 BST (UK) »
Only a little over 6 months to go now, sadly there would be many individuals across The World will not have survived the pandemic, and their misfortune to leave behind years of incomplete records must not be forgotten.

However, STILL no word from the sweaty hands at FindMyPast in relation to the cost per page to print our own copy. At least we could have expected a date WHEN they intend to drop the 'bombshell' price ;D

I do hope that this time any responses will exclude those who would pay any price for FindMyPast to recoup their outlay!

I hope the FindMyPast not only recoup their outlay, but make a healthy profit as well.
People do not seem to understand it is only by commercial firms such as this making a profit the the costs of accessing records has fallen to the lowest they have ever been, when we relied on council & government departments (who we already fund) providing such records the costs were vastly higher.
There is of course another option and that is each and everyone of us provides online records for everyone to access free of charge, but I have found over the years that few who moan about the costs of accessing records actually provide free records for the family history community themselves.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 21 08:05 BST (UK) »
I have seen them mentioning that they hope to get this census available from early 2022 despite the delays because of covid.

I was getting pop ups yesterday about them discontinuing credits and introducing micropayments, presumably this is in anticipation of the census release. See 5a & 6 on this link re details https://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/terms-and-conditions  From June 2021 we are transitioning from Credits to Micropayments. .

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 June 21 09:59 BST (UK) »

I’m eagerly awaiting this Census being available…

I just hope that it’ll provide some small clue towards working out who my elusive Paternal Grandfather actually was!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 June 21 11:55 BST (UK) »

I’m eagerly awaiting this Census being available…

I just hope that it’ll provide some small clue towards working out who my elusive Paternal Grandfather actually was!

Romilly.

Praying that it gives some clues to your grandad.
I feel I know him after so long looking for him with you  ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 June 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks to All current contributing to this 'reminder' of outstanding announcement of P-P-V costs. I'm sure FindMyPast have a monitor who records & reports? data from this Forum as a matter of course. Hence a regular, wake up call 'in public' from someone stirring the broth, does no harm to show them a variety of points of view which have been stimulated.
They will be chuffed here remain plenty on their side (not claiming though to be non shareholders :o, for myself I have many subs to resources incl FindMyPast & Anc; Deceased Online, but as I am no longer mobile, even a visit to TNA is right out of the question!