Author Topic: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast  (Read 1920 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 June 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
I'll pay "something" extra to view and download individual entries on a PPV basis, but not what I consider to be a ridiculous amount. I won't bother if the baseline is an annual subscription plus a fee for 1921 though - there's not enough on FindMyPast for me to justify that.

If the fee only covers transcriptions rather than the full scanned document I'm not interested at all.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Return to the 1921 Census again - Intended P-P-V cost set by FindMyPast
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 June 21 18:53 BST (UK) »

How times have changed.  I can remember waiting for the 1861 census to be available.  A very kind researcher at the time lived near the record office and very kindly went to have a look for me.  I was thrilled with the info she passed on. All written out by hand, no scans or images available at the time. I remember putting a fiver in the Lifeboat collection tin as a thank-you.
Here on Rootschat folk are happy to share for free information when they can from resources that they have paid a subscription or fee for.

It’s true that genealogy/family history has become much more affordable and accessible. Back in the dark ages you had to travel to record offices. My first trip to TNA cost a tank of fuel, lunch and a few pounds for photocopies of documents. Now people moan about paying a couple of quid to view an image… ::)
As they say in the North ‘You don’t get owt for nowt’
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins