Author Topic: Mary Ann Nevitt b1809 Bridgnorth  (Read 894 times)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
Mary Ann Nevitt b1809 Bridgnorth
« on: Friday 18 June 21 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am trying to find the parents of Mary Ann Nevitt b1809 in Bridgnorth.

She married Job Walton in May 1834 at St Phillip's Birmingham and her subsequent census entries (surname Walton) of 1851, 1861 and 1871 consistently give a year and place of birth as 1809 Bridgnorth.  She dies in October 1871 at the age of 62.

The closest I can come to anything like a sensible baptism is Mary Ann Nevett dated 11 Aug 1819 at St Mary Magdalene Bridgnorth daughter of Thomas and Mary. 

And on the same date, in the same church and to the same parents is Sophia Nevett and Frances Nevitt. 

Is one or more of these a very late baptism?  Where can one see the original pages to verify?

Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Nevitt b1809 Bridgnorth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 21 04:41 BST (UK) »
The original pages are on FindMyPast.   No birth dates are listed for any of the girls and their father's occupation is listed as a Barge Owner.  It does look like a bulk baptism but there is an earlier baptism of another girl Martha on 30 October 1818 at St Mary Magdalene with the same parents  :-\

Kay

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 June 21 04:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Kay.

I might have to roll Sophia and Frances forward to 1851, if possible, to age them more accurately and assess the likelihood of this being the correct Mary Nevitt.

I think there are nine baptisms in total at St Mary Magdalene and another at St Leonard's that could belong to these parents.

If so, then I think they are Thomas Nevitt and Mary Broadfield married 5 May 1793 at St Leonard (now All Saints) Broseley.  And if this is so, then Thomas' sister Elisabeth married Mary's brother Edward 12 Aug 1793 at Bridgnorth.

The Nevitt's were from Brosely and the Broadfield's were from Bridgnorth.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 June 21 05:08 BST (UK) »
I think Sophia married Samuel Guest on 23 Nov 1834 at Brosley.    In 1851 her birth  age is    listed as 36 and in 1861 as 41

Kay

I think she died in 1870 listed as 55

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 June 21 05:28 BST (UK) »
A Frances Nevitt age 38 was buried on 26 Sep 1847 at Bridgnorth, St Mary Magdalene??   Her address was Library Steps

Kay

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 June 21 06:04 BST (UK) »
I had a look at these two also:

Sophia is aged 36 in 1851 and 45 in 1861 and dies age 55 in 1870; this appears consistent and gives the year of birth as 1815 or 1816.

Frances is 25 in 1841 being rounded down so could be anything up to 29; burial in 1847 says 38 as does GRO so this comes to 1809.  Her address of Library Steps is the same as Sophia and their mother Mary in 1851 so this is the right Frances.  I don't believe the age at death is accurate and think is overstated by about three years which would make the time line of births as follows:

May 1793 Thomas Nevitt marries Mary Broadfield - St Leonard Broseley
Apr 1794 son Edward - St Mary Magdalene Bridgnorth
Jan 1796 son John - St Leonards Bridgnorth
Feb 1799 dau Mary - St Mary Magdalene Bridgnorth
Sep 1800 dau Ann - ditto
Jan 1803 dau Elizabeth - ditto
Dec 1808 son Thomas - ditto
??? 1809 dau Mary Ann - ditto Aug 1819
??? 1812 dau Frances - ditto Aug 1819
??? 1815 dau Sophia - ditto Aug 1819
Oct 1818 dau Martha - ditto

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 June 21 06:12 BST (UK) »
It looks good.  Maybe when they baptised Martha they remembered that they had forgotten to baptise the earlier 3 girls  :-\

Kay

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 June 21 06:18 BST (UK) »
Maybe so.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 June 21 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

From my collection of Bridgnorth records;

Thomas NEVETT was listed as a Victualler @ The Crown & Boat? in a 1791 Trade Directory.
Thomas NEVETT was listed as a Barge owner of Underhill St, Bridgnorth on the 1832 Burgess list.

Thomas NEVETT was a Freemason of Bridgnorth. The Register states he was born about 1771,  Initiated on 21st August 1813. A barge owner of Bridgnorth.

I also have in another record  (perhaps he is connected to the same family?)
Samuel NEVETT, a Builder from Ironbridge, owned 20 Shares in the Bridgnorth Agricultural Hall in 1870.

The NEVETT family were Freemen of Bridgnorth.

Surname.   Given name.   Occupation.   Residence.   In what right enrolled.   Date enrolled.
Nevitt   Thomas,   Barge owner,   Broseley,      17 Mar   1796.
Nevitt   Edward,         His son,   13 Jun   1826.
Nevitt   Thomas,   Waterman,   Bridgnorth,   Another son,   26 Jul   1830.

Burials in Bridgnorth Municipal Cemetery, opened in 1855. After that date, all burials in Bridgnorth were in the cemetery although the Burial Service may have been in a Church.

Martha NEVITT, a spinster, age 45 of New Town, Bridgnorth. Buried on 5th November 1862. Grave No.795 Consecrated.
Sophia GUEST  [nee NEVETT]  wife of Samuel, age 55. Buried on 15th November 1870. Grave No. 505 Consecrated.

This may have been the husband of Sophia;
Samuel GUEST, a Carpet weaver, age 74. Buried on 17th November 1886. Grave No.402  Non-consecrated.

Quoted from my own book, recording events from the local newspaper, The Bridgnorth Journal

Issue dated 1st August 1863.
Court case – re ownership of the houses under Castle Hill, one of which was occupied by Samuel GUEST. He married Mary NEVITT’s dau in 1834. Mary NEVITT, who died in 1854, had been given the houses in the Will of John BROADFIELD. Mentions other occupiers William Reynolds – Sawyer and Richard Rushton.

Hope it helps,
Gwynne
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk