Author Topic: Researching Napoleonic Soldiers  (Read 435 times)

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Researching Napoleonic Soldiers
« on: Saturday 19 June 21 11:32 BST (UK) »
Just a speculative/general thread really on looking at and researching relatives who served in the late Georgian period. I myself have a direct relative who signed up, 31st Regt of Foot, in 1799 and was discharged in 1821. I've done quite a lot of research on him already but I'm always interested in what other people may have done or accomplished. I've just got excited at looking at his life again and when I look at the folder I have of his time in the army I always want more. My interest mainly lies in everyday life but I am interested in all aspects of a soldiers life and experiences. It was spotting this book in the monthly Pen & Sword sale that did it for me.
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Napoleonic-Lives-Kindle/p/10861
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching Napoleonic Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 June 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
Have you read "The Letters of Private Wheeler" ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Private-Wheeler-1809-1828/dp/0900075589
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saw119

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 June 21 11:56 BST (UK) »
Have you read "The Letters of Private Wheeler" ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Letters-Private-Wheeler-1809-1828/dp/0900075589
I haven't but I will be soon! That looks like a perfect fit for me. I must admit to finding my 4X G Uncle a little frustrating as by and large the 1st 31st avoided any kind of military engagement whatsoever. They were involved in a few minor skirmishes but took no part in the Peninsula campaign or Waterloo. Mostly the just patrolled the Mediterranean theatre. They did, however, take part in the disastrous campaign in Egypt in 1807. So there's that at least.  ::)
Woollen and the variations thereof (Woolin, Woollin, Woolen etc) in the West Riding area

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
I've been researching my 4 x Great Uncle Thomas Sheldon and have found a ton of information about him having first got a copy of his discharge papers from the National Archives at Kew. He was born in 1794 in Beeston, Nottingham and enlisted in the Royal Horse Artillery in 1811 at Boston, Lincolnshire being noted as 'underage' but he took part in the Battle of Waterloo being now a Gunner/Driver and despite having 4 horses shot from under him, survived and ended up being discharged in 1840 with an exemplary record and was an 'out' Chelsea Pensioner. He then moved back to Arnold, Nottingham and died aged 80 in 1875. I have alot more than that but I've just put a snippet of the information about him here.
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire