Author Topic: The man who captured a fading industrial Scotland  (Read 1044 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The man who captured a fading industrial Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 June 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that posting sancti............ the one picture that stood out for me is the Red Rd flat construction and the passing steam train at Balornock as this is where I live now G21 the flats I watched being built are no longer the train junction has all gone as well as St Rollox is now a Tesco/Costco/Aldi site and also the candleriggs picture when in 1964 i lived on George St around the corner with the High St progress we know must continue but they could preserve alot more than what the did anyway great to see what made my childhood I hope there is more for our grand children to see in their twilight lives...........H
Henderson
Crawford

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 June 21 18:17 BST (UK) »
Should be searchable on here

https://canmore.org.uk/

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 June 21 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Sancti, there's still hope that St Rollox (The Caley) gets some railway work, one of the problems is the lack of an electric link out to the line.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Skoosh sadly ‘‘tis no more the St Rollox site has now closed and is up for sale 😪
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 21 17:17 BST (UK) »
My first experience in a workplace was ten years in heavy engineering in England. 

What struck me about the photos were they showed Scotland's history of progressive innovative designing and manufacturing steel bridges, steel railways and steel ships.

I see Scotland now only has one steel rolling mill at Dalziel.  A few years ago I read a report that the UK was one of the ten countries that exported the most tonnage of scrap metal and even in the dark ages metal smiths knew that melting metal ore with some scrap metal meant the result would be a better product with less inclusions.   Currently Britain has to look outside it's own borders for steel manufacturers to provide us with any high grade metal.that we require for aeroplanes, ships, satellites, etc.

The upside of not having many steel rolling mills is that we are breathing in much cleaner air.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:26 BST (UK) »
Dalziel is now set to produce "Green Steel!" thanks to a very large wind-farm being built in the Monadhliath's. ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 June 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Dalziel is now set to produce "Green Steel!" thanks to a very large wind-farm being built in the Monadhliath's. ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Relieved to know we're getting back up on our feet again.

Today I heard of a new (to me) mineral.  This is found in "rare earth elements".  This element is basically found in the earth that was dug up by our ancestors when they mined for various metal ores.
This "rare earth element" is used in hi tech mobile phones, etc. and China has been buying up sites around the world that contain the discarded earth taken out of ancient mines.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 June 21 04:49 BST (UK) »
Confirmation of the demise of St Rollox / Caley site now up for sale 😞
Henderson
Crawford