Author Topic: The man who captured a fading industrial Scotland  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The man who captured a fading industrial Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 June 21 12:21 BST (UK) »
Garngad, the last German owner took off to Wolverton taking the order book with them, some of the guys accepted railway work in Kilmarnock & the hope is that he takes on at least a bit of the Caley. The smashed east coast train was taken into the work for assessment & salvage as Scotrail/Network Rail had nowhere to put it. We need the Caley & its double-lift cranes & if the Scottish Government take over Scotrail that might provide the lifeline it needs.
 It was always a bit of a mystery as to who owned the site, the Church of Scotland was widely suggested???
 The company salvaging the smashed train had nobody capable or licensed to use the cranes, Caley men had to be brought back (for a consideration ;D) to do the lifting.

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 June 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
Oh I agree with everything you say and hope your right i work at tesco St Rollox and have been watching them taking items off site including the other month a burnt out carriage ( maybe the one you were referring to ) so let’s hope it’s only temporary but haveing watched the last 50 odd years of the dissaperance of all the rail infrastructure of the St Rollox / Springburn area I haven’t much faith that there will be anything to salvage bar our memories thanks again to all who have pictures and posts regarding this .
Henderson
Crawford

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 08:26 BST (UK) »
Roughly where the arrow is pointing is where I took the for sale/let sign the vast majority of these lines are gone..............the line to the left is all thats  remaining (which is the Springburn to Cumbernauld line) plenty for Glasgow area rail buff's here https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/trans-clyde-rail-map-1979-t455-s10.html.
Henderson
Crawford

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
Great maps Garngad. one of the lines in the pic will be the Glasgow to Garnkirk, the oldest steam track in Scotland, the terminus was about Glebe Street originally as there was no means of getting down or up that hill north of George Square, that was only solved by a static engine at the top of the Cowlairs Incline which was connected to Queen Street Station, a former quarry, by a cable.
 The old Glasgow/Garnkirk line ran through the Caley and the demolished Traverser Shed is now Tesco. The Traverser Shed was apparently haunted and a spectral operator in dungarees was seen by the security men at the controls. They had to get their clock stamped in there during the night, nae wonder they took a refreshment. ;D
 Question is, is the ghost still on site?

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline garngad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
well Skoosh theres a good chance he/she is still there as many a item falls of the shelves as I pass doing my dotcom work early shift (or maybe it's just clumsy auld me) the info is great bytheway.
Henderson
Crawford