Author Topic: Thomas Mannion  (Read 1904 times)

Offline thearobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thomas Mannion
« on: Saturday 19 June 21 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've had some help from another (equally) brilliant forum but am still stuck and wondered if anyone was able to help, please.

The problem I have is that my 3GG was Bridget Laffy, born around 1830 in Ireland, died in Staffordshire UK, married (or at the least had 4 children with) John Cavanagh including my 2GG Selina Cavanagh (m. Stephen Coughlin).

Bridget seems to be of the same age, in the same area (including Oxford street in Staffordshire in 1871 and 1881 and her death) as this lady below and I can't work out how to separate them, or perhaps instead show they were the same woman. If they are the same woman then my 3GG had 2 children with John Cavanagh, married Thomas Mannion and then had 2 more children with John Cavanagh. Which does look odd on the face of it!

So I'm looking for anything on this specific couple please - any sighting of them before or together after their wedding so I can prove it's not my 3GG Bridget.

Thomas Mannion and Bridget Laffy
m. 26th August 1855
Most Holy Trinity, Bilston, Staffordshire
Both Age 24
Address: Oxford Street, Bilston
His occupation Coal Miner
Hers left blank
His father Thomas Mannion, Labourer
Her father James Laffy, Labourer
Witnesses Luke Comer and Mary Ann Aylward / Elward / various other mis-spellings

Many thanks
PS, the Bridget Laffy who married Thomas Walsh/Welch in Wednesbury 1857 is definitely a different woman from those mentioned.
PPS the 1851 Census in Temple Street for a Bridget Laffy, Charwoman - I've no idea if this is Mannion's wife to be, or my 3GG. 
Coughlin, Laffy, Marsh, Higgins, Lavin

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Mannion
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 June 21 16:28 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused as can see John/Bridget together in all Census?

1881 Census
John Kavanagh   66
Bridget Kavanagh 58
Richard Kavanagh 21

1871 Census
John Cavenagh 60
Bridget Cavenagh 38
Selina Cavenagh 14
Richard Cavenagh 12

1861 Census
John Cavenor   47
Bridget Cavenor   32
Selina Cavenor   4
Richard Cavenor 2

What children do you have for Thomas/Bridget Mannion, dob/pob please.

Also in came household as Bridget in 1851 is a Patrice Laffy (Patrick)

He may have married Bridget NOON 25 May 1869 Wednesbury. His Father is THOMAS
Witnesses, Thomas WALSH/Maria LAFFEY
(FreeREG)

As you know the Bridget who married Thomas WALSH named her Father as MARTIN

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline thearobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 June 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish, thank you!

Bridget my 3GG and John Cavanagh had 4 children in total, 2 (John and Thomas) died young in Dudley so they were in the UK from 1852 at the very minimum. (the next children were Selina and Richard). I have found many newspaper clippings for mentions of John Cavanagh from as early as 1846 in Bilston, Wednesbury areas but it's such a common name I have no idea if it's him or not.

In 1851, Temple Street is a Bridget Laffy (with a possible brother Patrick) - she's either mine and she and John didn't marry until after 1851, or she's the other Bridget Laffy who probably married Thomas Mannion.
Thing is though I can't find Thomas and Bridget after they marry and I can't find a UK marriage at least for John Cavanagh and Bridget Laffy.  Although there is one in 1842 Ireland but that would mean she was much younger than the census records record her as. 

I'd assume it was a different Bridget if it weren't for the Oxford Street mention and the fact I can't find any mention of them after the wedding.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 June 21 09:28 BST (UK) »

In 1851, Temple Street is a Bridget Laffy (with a possible brother Patrick) -

Patrick's surname is written as Laffey.  On looking for a Bridget Laffey there is this:

Name:    LAFFEY, BRIDGET   
Age at death (in years): 25
GRO Reference: 1857  D Quarter in DUDLEY  Volume 06C  Page 84

Might not be any of the Bridget's you are looking for, but with all the various spellings you are faced with, it's something to keep on the back burner!  The age does match the Temple St. Bridget though.

Offline thearobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 21 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart,

I'm confused now - the Temple Street Bridget from 1851 if she was the one who married Thomas Mannion in 1855 would have been Bridget "Mannion" in 1857.  Or if she was mine she wouldn't be in Trowse Lane or Oxford Street as Cavanagh in 1861, 1871 and 1881 if she'd died in Dudley.
So I have no idea who that one is!!

I'm trying to prove the Bridget Laffy who married Thomas Mannion isn't my 3GG but as the two don't overlap (eg both Bridgets appear with their respective husbands on a census together) and I can't find any children to Bridget and Thomas Mannion I'm starting to wonder if they were the same woman albeit with overly complicated relationships!!

The only other thing I can think of is that Bridget Laffy and John Cavanagh did indeed marry in 1842, didn't come to the UK until just before 1852 (the birth of their first son John) therefore missing the 1851 UK Census, had 2 children in Dudley and then moved to Bilston, therefore, meaning any mention of a Bridget Laffy anywhere else, including in Oxford Street is just coincidence as she was already established as Bridget Cavanagh. 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 June 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
I think you are finding that Bridget Laffey is not an uncommon name.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 June 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
What was the address  in 1852 when John was born?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thearobin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 June 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
I think you are finding that Bridget Laffey is not an uncommon name.

Hah, yes!  I have at least 3 assuming mine is a different one to Mannion's wife.
The address for the birth of John Cavanagh in 1852 was Birmingham Street, Dudley

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 June 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
Patrick's surname is written as Laffey.  On looking for a Bridget Laffey there is this:

Name:    LAFFEY, BRIDGET   
Age at death (in years): 25
GRO Reference: 1857  D Quarter in DUDLEY  Volume 06C  Page 84

Might not be any of the Bridget's you are looking for, but with all the various spellings you are faced with, it's something to keep on the back burner!  The age does match the Temple St. Bridget though.

This Bridget's burial says she was the wife of Andrew Laffey.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.