Author Topic: Merchant Navy - Edward Tulloch  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy - Edward Tulloch
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 June 21 12:35 BST (UK) »
This is Tony Gott's superb website on Shetland family histories, if you can get a connection the work is done for you! There is a Captain Edward Tulloch, master mariner but at a later date than yours, try the search-box.

https://www.bayanne.info/Shetland

Skoosh.

Thanks Skoosh - I check the site and as you said, the date is well after Capt Edward Tulloch of Poole sailed the seven seas. Obviously might be a connection which I'll follow up later.

Appreciate your help
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 24 June 21 12:37 BST (UK) »
Whilst acknowledging the information posted by Skoosh. 80/90% of the Masters I found in the National Archives series BT124, with the surname Tulloch. Came from Shetland, Orkney and other Northen Scottish locations.
However there was another Tulloch listed. James Street. Born 1826 in Poole Dorset. Mates certificate 67687 Issued in Poole 7/1/1851
A Brother, Cousin maybe?

Thanks seaweed - I've found a couple of other Tulloch/Tullock sailors from Poole as well. It's possible they're all related but that's a job for another day.

Appreciate all your help and suggestions.

Offline Alan from Shetland FHS

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 July 21 17:53 BST (UK) »
The Tulloch family in Poole were from Shetland, but in a previous generation. Brothers Laurence, born c1745, Gilbert (c1762-1838) and Andrew Tulloch (1764-1815) settled there. Andrew clearly stated that when he sat his RN naval lieutenant's exam. I am not related, but would be interested to know whether anybody knows more about them.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 July 21 08:29 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Alan!

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 July 21 12:13 BST (UK) »
The Tulloch family in Poole were from Shetland, but in a previous generation. Brothers Laurence, born c1745, Gilbert (c1762-1838) and Andrew Tulloch (1764-1815) settled there. Andrew clearly stated that when he sat his RN naval lieutenant's exam. I am not related, but would be interested to know whether anybody knows more about them.

Hello Alan

Welcome to RootsChat.

Thanks for the update re the Tulloch family. I haven't researched any previous generations and mainly concentrated on Edward. As time permits I'll see if there's anything extra that you might find useful.
I believe someone mentioned Tulloch wills at The National Archives which might be helpful for your research.

Thanks again for joining and posting on here
Cheers

Di