Author Topic: Death of Annie Brown, nee Watterson, Jan 31, 1946, New York  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Annie Brown, nee Watterson, Jan 31, 1946, New York
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 June 21 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
You have zeroed in very quickly on the correct persons. As for births, I had an Ann Jane born June 23, 1857, baptised July 31, 1859 at Woods and an unnamed daughter July 1, 1865 for this couple. Another tree had Annie as the one born July 1, 1865 but looking at things, with dates (June 21), I am thinking I will attach Thomas Brown to Ann Jane. That would make her 23 when emigrated in 1880, rather than 15. When she marries in 1883, her age is estimated at 22 and born 1861 rather than 1865 which would make her 18. We know the 1857 daughter was Ann whereas we don't know the name of the 1865 daughter. And you have found the correct marriage for Ann.
Ellen is on the 1901 Irish census, single, age 35, so we know her marriage was after that and you have found that to be so, to John William Johnson.
There is an unnamed brother in 1869 who may be Robert and another unnamed brother in 1871.
Annie is 85 at death so born abt 1860. Still thinking she is Ann Jane. The 1920 census had Annie as a widow whereas there is an online tree that says her husband died about Dec 10, 1930. I wonder if they are thinking of her son instead of her husband of the same name.
You are terrific Sandra and I thank you so very much.
Peggy
Added: We know that George Watterson married to Ann Wright had father Leonard as per marriage record. Some folks think his parents were Leonard Watterson and Jane Young but their George was born 1835. I think George was the son of Leonard Watterson and Sarah Watterson who was born 1830 and would be full age in 1854 whereas the 1835 George would be a bit short of full age. Besides George 1830 is from Lisnamorrow as was Leonard and Sarah whereas 1835 George is from Ballymulderg as was Leonard married to Jane Young. Those places are so close that one can't be certain but that's what I think.
I think 1835 George Watterson married Mary Jane Watterson.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 June 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
You are right, Sandra, Leonard Watterson who died 1892, Cookstown, was reportedly the husband of Eliza Martin. I have yet to find her death. He said he was widow in 1892 at time of death.
I don't agree that Leonard Watterson and Jane Young are the parents of George Watterson who married Ann Wright. I think their George married Mary Jane Watterson, based partly on George's dob and partly on residence.
You are fabulous in your research.
Peggy

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 June 21 18:26 BST (UK) »

You can tell with sone of these ancestry trees that are linked, so people have copied from one to the other, sometimes without verifying the information.  :-\  It can be a mine field of errors.  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 June 21 18:38 BST (UK) »
Absolutely right. There are several George Wattersons who died in Ireland between 1898-1915 and there is a terrible mixup of the different family lines as to  which George belonged to which family. I think I am getting a handle on it with everyone's help and much digging for records. It is a dangerous practice to  copy blindly and the error compounds as more people copy the error.
Do you remember Ignatius Watterson who went to Philadelphia in 1909, possibly returning 1919. You helped me with that.  A couple days ago, I found an article from  1907 which describes how he whipped and starved his children. I  know  it is the correct family as the children are named. Sad, sad situation.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 June 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
Would like the obituary for Annie Brown, who died Jan 31, 1946 in New York. It might reveal the names of other siblings who may also have emigrated, such as brothers. We know that sister Ellen Johnson also emigrated and died Aug 6,1944 in the Bronx.
thanks
Peggy

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra,

The 1920 census had Annie as a widow whereas there is an online tree that says her husband died about Dec 10, 1930.

If the details on the marriage record were correct,

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24SK-2YF

then Thomas did die 9 September 1930 Manhattan NY.  Buried St Raymonds Cemetery.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W1G-BH3

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thomas Brown - 1856 - 9 September 1930 Manhattan New York
Age   74 - Certificate Number 21175

Cross checks with reply 1 - Annie Brown - 1861 - 31 January 1946
Age   85 - Certificate Number 3111

Sandra

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 June 21 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra for clarifying the date of death for Thomas F. Brown. So he and Annie just separated sometime before 1920.

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 March 22 23:31 GMT (UK) »
George 1830 is from Lisnamorrow as was Leonard and Sarah

Hi Peggy!

I'm just doing research on this family myself for my own tree and had come to the same conclusion before seeing the talks on there that the Georges had been mixed up. So great to see others had questioned this as well.

Can I ask where the information for the above George 1930 is from - I've not yet had the chance to go and view the Woods Chapel Parish records and cant find them online anywhere so was wondering if it would be from there?

Donna