Author Topic: Occupation and Officiant Name  (Read 691 times)

Offline Dave White

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation and Officiant Name
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 00:56 BST (UK) »
The poster doesn't suggest anywhere that it's a death certificate. Merely confirms the name of the officiating vicar and provides some background info about him - including his date of death.

Dave

Offline kevinf2349

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 02:56 BST (UK) »
The poster doesn't suggest anywhere that it's a death certificate. Merely confirms the name of the officiating vicar and provides some background info about him - including his date of death.

Dave

I appreciated the information although I am not sure it applies in this case as the marriage was in Stafford. Having said that the dates seem to tie in as the wedding was in 1903 which would seem to be before his tenure in Yorkshire.

Regards
Kevin
Ferguson, Stockton-on-Tees
Hollinshead, Stafford/Guisborough
Pratt, Berwick/Newcastle-upon-Tyne
McDonald, Teesdale
Charlton, Hexham
Carlyle, Hexham/Annan Dumfries

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 05:43 BST (UK) »
Henry Wm. Bourke

To me the top dot of what looks like a colon after Wm is the little superscript, while the lower dot is the stop which rightly follows the placement of an initial.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 23:52 BST (UK) »
Kevin,

Ordained Clergy officiated at baptisms, marriages and burials so I am not sure how the type of ceremony makes a difference. Also they often performed ceremonies in Parishes to which they were not attached.

I am sorry I cannot give you a copy of of the Rev. Bourke's signature in the Airmyn records because the images are copyright.

Maybe someone else with access to the Airmyn records for 1905 to 1907 could check the records and confirm that the signature is the same as the one on your marriage record and that the burial record of Dec 21 1907 at Airmyn is for Henry Martyn Bourke late Vicar of the parish.

You could also look at Family Search and see if there is any information there. Of course it will most likely be a transcript but there are some original records there. You might get lucky. When the libraries re-open you could also check Crockford's Clerical Directory for the relevant time period and possibly newspaper files as well for further information.

I don't usually bother with the name of the person performing the ceremony myself unless they are related to the family which, in one line of the families I am researching, happened quite often.

Venelow
Canada