Author Topic: Can you help this 84 year old man?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can you help this 84 year old man?
« on: Sunday 20 June 21 11:40 BST (UK) »
*I must state that I've been given full permission to post this by the man himself

Roy Mills, originally of Potters Marston is long-term resident of Leicestershire. Roy is my current partner’s grandfather and in his mid-80s. Sadly, Roy did not know who his father was – He was raised by his grandfather John Mills (1889-1974) and only when he joined the RAF in the 1950s did he find out, from his birth certificate, that his ‘sister’ (John’s daughter) Charlotte Joan Mills (1919-1987) was his mother.

Roy was born in 1936 and married Celia Joan Pemberton (1933-2017) in 1962. His mother Charlotte was likely living at 6 Stanton Lane, Potters Marston at the time of Roy’s birth. In the 1939 England and Wales Register, Charlotte is still living at Stanton Lane and was a Boot and Shoe Operative. Her name is listed as Charlotte Rathbone because she went on to marry William Arthur Rathbone in July 1940. Roy was prevented communication with his mother by her husband William.

Given the usual trend (and Charlotte’s young age), it is likely that Roy’s dad lived nearby, may have been someone she worked with, one of her dads’ friends or Charlotte's father (John was a widow that also had a child with his housekeeper Hilda Pyatt).

I appreciate there is not much to go on with this. Roy assures me that his father is not listed on his birth certificate. I wondered if there may be a record of bastardy? Though I haven't found anything. Are there any other avenues of attack with this one?

Moderator comment: full date of birth removed

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help this 84 year old man?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
One of the best plans of attack might be to suggest that Roy takes a dna test, which might at least serve to confirm any other research details you might find.

There is currently an Ancestry offer on reducing the cost from £79 to £59 plus p&p which expires at midnight tonight 20 June.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 21 12:14 BST (UK) »
I was about to say the same.

I notice that you have a tree online, and a test might help, if there are strong matches to trees other than Mills and Rathbone.

David

Offline Zakerias

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 June 21 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, this was our next step. I've purchased a kit which should arrive in 7 working days.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 June 21 23:39 BST (UK) »
Agree with others that the DNA test is a good idea. Once results are back, the DNA board on Rootschat is a good place to ask for guidance on working through same.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .