Author Topic: Looking for possible scenarios  (Read 528 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Looking for possible scenarios
« on: Sunday 20 June 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I can't post names because they fall into the 'recent' and living categories.

I have a birth cert for a child born in Hendon in 1940. It is a normal certificate but the birth was registered 3 months after the birth. It is not annotated to show an adoption.

She has an older brother evacuated in 1939 to Gloucestershire to stay with his maternal grandparents. The 3 of them are there for the 1939 register.

Mum & Dad are in Hendon in 1939 dodging the blitz.

The 3 in Gloucestershire are joined later by a slightly younger cousin for the duration of the war.

The younger cousin has no recollection of her female cousin. The child was never talked about. The brother (now deceased) when asked about his sister knew nothing of her.

There is no obvious death entry in the GRO index. There is no marriage. Apart from the birth cert there is no trace.

In 2013 the cousin wrote to the HSCIC with a freedom of information request about her cousin. The HSCIC said there was no trace of her. That may infer she didn't get an identity card and ration book. The HSCIC provided accurate information about other members of the family though.

I have checked the 'usual' resources, deceased online, historic phone books, electoral registers (the brother and parents are on the London registers upto 1965) she is not mentioned in her mother's will. She is not mentioned in her brother's will.

Her father is another mystery but not for today.

I have plugged her name into all the subscription sites, apart from the birth index, nothing.

I have written to Hendon registrars asking them to check the death registers in case she has fallen through a crack and a death has not made it's way in to the GRO.

I'm trying to offer scenarios to the now older cousin who is doing the family tree and has been for several years.

What other scenarios can you suggest?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for possible scenarios
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 June 21 23:28 BST (UK) »
Possibles  ;D

1. The child is not issue  of the woman who registered her in the maternal name.

She is the child of maybe  a single sibling of the woman and there has been an agreement in the family.

The child is registered in one name as you have found, then raised by another family in a name given to her by them. No formal adoption, but possibly "in family"

2. The child is not the husband's. She is registered as issue to them, but fostered elsewhere under a different name.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 21 00:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, agree with all of Sue's suggestions, and add:

:) you have the date and place of birth from the certificate,  can you search with wild cards for name,  but using date and place....

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 June 21 00:54 BST (UK) »
A suggestion from one of my ancient rellies.... a retired NSW BDM senior officer .   

Have you considered that perhaps there was a rush in late 1939 and into 1940 to register births .... or miss out on ration cards etc.  Some Hendon  births at freebmd UK in March Qtr 1940 seem to be for births in 1920s.... postem comments etc.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 June 21 12:38 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue's scenarios. I have one such as #2 - a child the mother gave birth to in 1942 when her husband had been a POW for over a year, but was registered as the father. Adopted, whether officially or not I don't know. Her half-siblings have no knowledge of her existence, but an older cousin knows and won't tell them.

3) I suppose they might have invented a child to get an extra ration book, but failed?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 June 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sue's scenarios. I have one such as #2 - a child the mother gave birth to in 1942 when her husband had been a POW for over a year, but was registered as the father. Adopted, whether officially or not I don't know. Her half-siblings have no knowledge of her existence, but an older cousin knows and won't tell them.

3) I suppose they might have invented a child to get an extra ration book, but failed?

As registration for ration books was January 1940 and no one seems to know who she was or can't remember her, inventing her sounds likely
https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/what-you-need-to-know-about-rationing-in-the-second-world-war
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend