Author Topic: Look up request for Caversham  (Read 1498 times)

Offline mbenjamin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up request for Caversham
« on: Monday 21 June 21 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi! I have been trying to access the marriage records of Alice Atkins and John Stevens (or Stephens) in Caversham, 1597 (it was part of Oxfordshire then). I'm in the US and the records don't seem to be available online and the Bishop's Records which are available on Family Search start in 1639, just after the family left to the New World. The original parish records are in the Berkshire Record Office. I was wondering if someone currently researching there would be willing to spare a few minutes to look it up for me. I thank you in advance! Any help will be much appreciated!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for Caversham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 June 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

If no-one is able to look this up for you then I'd suggest contacting the BRO, explaining what you want and asking for a quote for one of their archivists to look at the records.  I've found that they are very good at knowing how long it will take and charge accordingly, used to be a very reasonable charge on a par with a professional researcher's hourly cost but only for the time taken.

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 June 21 16:59 BST (UK) »
I have a transcript of Caversham marriages from Oxfordshire FHS.
The marriage of John Stivens and Alice Atkines took place at St Peter Caversham on 27 February 1597. There is no further information on the transcript.

I realise you may already have this!
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline mbenjamin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 03:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Marmaduke!

I did get confirmation on another forum from someone who also has that disc. But it's nice to get a second confirmation. I was vey unsure about the transcripts used by Moriarty in his article about the Stevens of Newbury and Andover Mass. I can use it with confidence now. Thanks so much!