Author Topic: Annie Kerr  (Read 3767 times)

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Kerr
« on: Monday 21 June 21 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I am new to researching the Irish side of my family tree and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction. My great grandmother has long been a mystery in our family tree and we can't seem to find out much about her.

This is what I have so far to go on -

She was born in somewhere in Ireland in abt. 1872.
She grew up in Glasgow with her grandmother.
She married my great grandfather, Fredrick Harvey Gooding, in 1895.
She died in 1929 in Wandsworth, Greater London.
Her father was James Kerr, he was a Tailor and he died before 1895 - according to her marriage certificate.

The only other information I have that may or may not be helpful is a DNA match 4th cousin whose great grandmother was Mary Jane (Minnie) Kerr born in Ireland 1873/4 but not really sure if this is coincidental or Mary could be Annie's cousin/sister.

I would be so grateful for any help or advice with this. I feel like I am going round in circles with it!!

Many thanks
Izzy

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Kerr
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 14:13 BST (UK) »
Her marriage record in Scotland should name her mother. Have you found her in the Scottish census records at all.  There are a couple of possibilities in the 1891 census living in Glasgow all born in Ireland at the right time working as a servant.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Izzzy and welcome to rootschat is that your tree on Ancestry that has Mary Jane Kerr down as the sister of Annie ?

Rosie

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Your online tree indicates her father was James and her mother Sarah who remarries to a Gallaghar and living in Glasgow in the 1891 Census. Died in 1905.  Have you found the second marriage in Scotland which should give you her mother's maiden name and easier to find a marriage in Ireland.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have the death certificate for the mother Sarah who died in 1905 ? not seeing anything so far for a death on Scotlands People ..What census records do you have for Annie with her grandmother

Rosie

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 15:07 BST (UK) »
Rosie, are you able to pick up the second marriage to Gallagher which should give us her maiden name?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 15:13 BST (UK) »
Not seeing a second marriage for Sarah so far which makes me wonder if she was married to James Kerr  ??? Not seeing death also with the name Gallagher need to wait and see what Izzy has

Rosie

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 17:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you all!!

Yes that is my tree. I have information from my dna match that I put on my tree but I am unsure if the info is correct and if Annie and Mary Jane are sisters or if it is a coincidence! I want to be able to verify that my hunch is right and not leading myself up the wrong path as I have no actual evidence to say they were sisters.

My great grandmother was married in London so her mother's name is not on her marriage cert. Just her father James Kerr is named who was deceased by then and was a tailor.

The information I got from my dna match was that Mary Jane Kerr married Peter Traynor 20/12/1892 she was aged 19 and her father was James Kerr, tailor journeyman (deceased) and mother Sarah Gallacher (2nd ..... - not sure if it says 2nd marriage or 2nd name as the text is cut off) maiden name Kerr. I found a census for a Sarah Gallagher and John Gallagher and they had Minnie and James Kerr living with them but not Annie. I think she may have been a servant by then, so can't find them all on the same census together.

Is there any way to find out where in Ireland they were from?

Thank you for all your help!!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Izzy did you get the original certificate on Scotlands People for the death of Sarah Kerr
I seen the marriage for Annie Kerr in London and the mothers name is not shown on the English records just father's name ..Have you tried searching www.irishgenealogy.ie
It might take a while to go through birth records but you can view them free so might be worth checking ..You said Annie was brought up by her Grandmother what was her name

Rosie