Author Topic: Annie Kerr  (Read 3799 times)

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Kerr
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 00:03 BST (UK) »
The record for Sarah Gallagher at Maryhill 1903 is a death record for a Margaret Gallagher
The record for Sarah Gallagher in Falkirk 1903 is a record for a Sarah Ballander (I think) and her parents were William and Jane Galllagher.
Also tried the 1897 Sarah Gallagher death record and it is for Sarah White whose mother is Sarah Gallagher.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 01:01 BST (UK) »
Well, that is indeed unfortunate.  Did you notice that John and Sarah show up in the 1891 Census twice on Nicholas Street -- once with her kids and once they're living with his mother and several others, but no Kerrs.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 06:45 BST (UK) »
Well, that is indeed unfortunate.  Did you notice that John and Sarah show up in the 1891 Census twice on Nicholas Street -- once with her kids and once they're living with his mother and several others, but no Kerrs.

Yes I thought that was strange maybe viewing the original record on SP think Ancestry has boobed again ..SP showing 2 different reference numbers for both families

Rosie

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
Having sorted through all the Ann Kerr/Carr entries in the civil births at irishgenealogy.ie, I have one possibility.

Anne b. 1st(?) March 1871 daughter of (blank) and Sarah Kerr, Barrack Row, Derry.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1871/03310/2213235.pdf

There's only one Ann born to a James and Sarah on 10 August 1872 in Kilkeel; mother's maiden name is McCartin.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
Also went looking for some proof that James existed. In the 1888 Glasgow trades directory, there is a James Kerr, a tailor listed on Main Street.

https://deriv.nls.uk/dcn30/8463/84636654.30.jpg

However, as can be seen by the 1890 directory, there are a few James Kerrs in the clothing business:

https://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/84645357

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 18:09 BST (UK) »
Sarah Kerr /Gallagher is hiding well spent a few hours this morning going through the Irish records ..I can't find any census records for the family before 1891 thought there might have been some baptisms if they were RC ..There was a RC  record for the marriage of Minnie Kerr but no luck with witnesses being family members

Rosie

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen and Rosie!
I am having a lot of trouble finding anything about her too! I believe the family may have been Catholic as my Grandfather was brought up as Catholic.
Interesting that there is no father mentioned in the birth entry record for Anne Kerr.

I didn't find the census with Sarah and John Gallagher with his mum - is that on ancestry?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Don't think this has been mentioned before but will throw it in for consideration.

Family Search has a N.Y. death for a James Carr born Ireland c1878 (in Ulster Carr/Kerr are the same name and sometimes in other parts of Ireland Corr is another variant)- parents James Carr & Sarah Gallagher-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WN5-N18
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 19:13 BST (UK) »
Annie's son was your grandfather, right?  Married in a Church of England, but the son raised Catholic?  Was he raised by others?