Author Topic: Annie Kerr  (Read 3794 times)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Kerr
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 19:14 BST (UK) »
And yes, the census record is on Ancestry, but I'd look at the original on ScotlandsPeople to figure out exactly what it says, as it may be a transcription error on Ancestry.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 20:59 BST (UK) »
Think we may need to start over.  Your 4th cousin DNA match would be a much closer match if Annie and Minnie were sisters if Annie was your great-grandmother.  We know that Annie married in England in 1895, and that her father is named James in the record.  Do you have a copy of her death record in 1929 which confirms that she was born in Ireland?

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 June 21 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eileen and Rosie!
I am having a lot of trouble finding anything about her too! I believe the family may have been Catholic as my Grandfather was brought up as Catholic.
Interesting that there is no father mentioned in the birth entry record for Anne Kerr.

I didn't find the census with Sarah and John Gallagher with his mum - is that on ancestry?

They are both on Ancestry but have been transcribed wrong there are 2 separate census records on findmypast ..and on Scotlands People

Rosie

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 June 21 18:27 BST (UK) »
My mum is going to have a look through her paperwork, she thinks she may have a copy of Annie Kerr's death cert. She also said her father (Annie Kerr's son) was definitely brought up Catholic but as an adult wanted nothing to do with it and said it was all based on fear.

Re my 4th cousin DNA match, I thought the connection may be higher up the tree but wondered as Mary and Annie's records show a father called James in the same profession and had died before the were both married was a big coincidence. I think that would make him my 3rd cousin rather than 4th cousin if Annie and Mary Jane are sisters - but I also have a DNA match on there it says 5-8th cousin but I know 100% is my Dad's cousin's son - so I am taking these relationship estimates with a pinch of salt! :D

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 June 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
DNA doesn't lie. A 5th to 8th cousin match is pretty distant and rarely recognizable; perhaps he is not as related as you think; however, what is the actual match with Mary's descendant (ie, CM)?

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 June 21 20:36 BST (UK) »
I share 39.5 cm with Mary Kerr's descendant. My mum shares 53.8 cm with him.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 June 21 20:44 BST (UK) »
39.5 cm gives you a 30% chance of being a third cousin and 15% chance of being a fourth cousin. Your mom's 53.8 gives her a 37% chance of also being a third cousin or a 2nd cousin twice removed, a 27% chance of being a 2nd cousin, once removed, with only a 7% chance of being a 4th cousin.

Any other matches in common that may be of help?

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 June 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Just seen that he shares 87.2 cm with my mum's sister. There are quite a few shared matches but it is on Gedmatch so not linking to trees!!  The only Irish sounding last name is, ironically, Gallagher!

I will see if I can track down anyone's family tree and see if I can find anything useful on there.

Offline i-z-z-y

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 June 21 21:54 BST (UK) »
I have found quite a few trees. Just found a mutual match 5.2 generations away that has Kerr's from Australia going back to Ireland and then Scotland.
Their tree goes -
   George Ker, Kerr/, b. 01 Jun 1708, Liberton, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
   George Ker, Kerr/, b. 24 Dec 1738, Liberton, Midlothian, Scotland, Kirkliston, Midlothian, Scotland
   George Thomas Kerr, b. 2 Apr 1770, Loughkillygreen, County  Fermanagh, Northern Ire, d. 17 Mar 1821, Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh, Northern Irelan
   Thomas John James Kerr, b. 5 Mar 1809, Feugh, Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh, Ireland, d. 13 Aug 1885, Rookwood, New South Wales, Australia
    James Francis Kerr, b. 03 Jun 1844, West Maitland, New South Wales, Australia, d. 20 Jul 1926, Redfern, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
    Mattaniah John Kerr, b. 1877, Coonabarabran, New South Wales, d. 03 Dec 1946, Boolaroo, New South Wales, Australia
    Mary (Mollie) B Kerr, b. 1908, Speers Point, NSW,, d. 4 November 1974, Royal Newcastle Hospital, Newcastle, New South Wales
    Valerie June Horgan, b. 1928, Wallsend, New South Wales, Australia, d. 17 march 1980, Kogarah NSW, Australia
    Michael Vincent Mahoney, b. 05/06/1957, Sydney, d. 28/05/2007, Liverpool Nsw
    DNA Match (Hidden)

Do you think it Thomas John Kerr would be the best place to start looking? Or further back?