Author Topic: Kasendorf, Bavaria  (Read 977 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Kasendorf, Bavaria
« on: Monday 21 June 21 21:45 BST (UK) »
Please, does anybody know if there are parish records for this place available anywhere online?  I am interested in events around the 1770s.  The familysearch catalogue doesn't seem to have anything at all for Kasendorf specifically, or for the district of Kulmbach until the nineteenth century.
Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kasendorf, Bavaria
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 June 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
Try mailing the church

https://www.kirche-kasendorf.de/

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks davecapps,  I shall do that.

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
Names and Places would help us narrow down your search

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
The place I am interested in is Kasendorf, but it's a fairly tenuous  link that I'm trying to follow up.

There was a printer and bookseller of Leipzig named Friedrich Christian Wilhelm Vogel (1776-1842). Online references to him say that he was born at Kasendorf, Oberfranken, or Kasendorf Bayreuth (I think these are the same place?).  Just to make it difficult there's also one which says Casendorf, Wedendorfersee, which is in the north of Germany.

I was working on the principle that the one in Bavaria is nearer to Leipzig, but that could be wrong because I think Leipzig might have been the place to go if you were interested in the publishing trade, wherever you were from.

Anyhow, what I really want to know is who FCW Vogel's family were, because I think it is possible that a brother of his might have been Johann Benjamin Gottlieb Vogel, also a printer and bookseller who set up business in London in the very early years of the 19thC.  He was born c1777.  I know quite a bit about him after he arrived in London.  Before that, only that he came from Germany, possibly Leipzig.

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 07:42 BST (UK) »
was he catholic or protestant

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 10:50 BST (UK) »
He attended the Lutheran church in London.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Galium,

I can't help with your actual research, but I thought it might be helpful for you to know that Kasendorf, Oberfranken and Kasendorf, Bayreuth are indeed one and the same place.

It is a little village (Dorf = village) in the district of Kulmbach (famous for its beer  ;D), about 20km away from Bayreuth. This comes under the administrative district of Oberfranken. And is in the State of Bayern (Bavaria). Bayern is a Freistaat, which is a kind of republic. They have laws which differ from those in other parts of Germany - including concerning public holidays. A bone of contention here...  ;D People from Franken do not like being called Bavarians. Many years ago, I had a boss who was from Franken - and woe betide anyone who said he was from Bavaria!  ::)

Anyway, this Kasendorf is about 200km from Leipzig.

The Casendorf up north appears to also be written with a "K" in modern times. It is about 400km from Leipzig.

But as you say, people travelled to certain places for work, so the distance from Leipzig might not be important.

What online sources do you have regarding his birthplace? It could be that someone googled Kasendorf and came up with the one up north...

Best regards,
Karen

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Online davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile