Author Topic: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?  (Read 4376 times)

guest259648

Re: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 24 June 21 09:15 BST (UK) »

Turet Rice was a woman born in 1811 in Ireland Daudon . During the 1851 UK Census she was 40 years old and lived in Durham. She appears as the wife of she house in the 1851 UK Census.
LAST NAME:   Rice
FIRST NAME:   Turet
MIDDLE NAME:   
BIRTH YEAR:   1811
BIRTH PLACE:   Ireland Daudon

Just for the sake of accuracy, the census shows that she was born in Ireland. The word 'Daudon' doesn't appear in the birthplace column.

At the time of the 1851 census the family were living in Dawdon Parish, County Durham.

JenB
Yes, I think it says just 'Ireland' for the birth. I'm not sure why the Roots Chat contributor (or their computer) added this word in.

Dawdon (also rendered as Dawden on older maps) is the parish; Dawdon became a colliery town.
Not to be confused with Dalton (in the dale), the village in the dene very close by..
Nor Dalden Tower, the remains of a mediaeval fortified manor house in Dalton..

I've always wondered if they all come from the same word originally.

D x

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 24 June 21 09:24 BST (UK) »
From garstonite
ADDED
Just a suggestion - a female name of Jetruite in Clonallan County Down
I wonder if Jetruite was shortened or misheard as Turet ??

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPBG-KF99

1911 has her as Gertie and birth registration is Gertrude.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 24 June 21 15:16 BST (UK) »
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 24 June 21 15:25 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census details I posted were copied and pasted from Rootspoint site

https://www.rootspoint.com/search/?CollectionKey=UK1851&FirstName=Turet&LastName=RICE&utm_campaign=gen_green&utm_medium=Website&utm_source=Geneanet

I see that site also states that Michael was born in Blackburn Lancashire Daudon  :-X
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 25 June 21 14:22 BST (UK) »

https://www.rootspoint.com/search/?CollectionKey=UK1851&FirstName=Turet&LastName=RICE&utm_campaign=gen_green&utm_medium=Website&utm_source=Geneanet

I see that site also states that Michael was born in Blackburn Lancashire Daudon  :-X

Possibly Darwen (previously Over Darwen and Lower Darwen)? It was in Blackburn registration district. Name of the district is now Blackburn with Darwen. (In the news a lot recently.) Pronounced "Darren" locally. Industries included coal, cotton, paper, iron, brass, quarrying, brick-making. Railway station 1848. Do you know what religious denomination Michael and "Turet" were? There were 2 Anglican churches + several Non-Conformist chapels in 19th century. R.C. school-chapel from 1856; Mass said at an inn from c.1850. Earlier Catholic baptisms may have been done by priests from Blackburn. Anglican marriages of inhabitants of Lower Darwen were at Blackburn churches pre 1839.
Cowban

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 25 June 21 14:30 BST (UK) »

Possibly Darwen (previously Over Darwen and Lower Darwen)? It was in Blackburn registration district. Name of the district is now Blackburn with Darwen. (In the news a lot recently.) Pronounced "Darren" locally. Industries included coal, cotton, paper, iron, brass, quarrying, brick-making. Railway station 1848. Do you know what religious denomination Michael and "Turet" were? There were 2 Anglican churches + several Non-Conformist chapels in 19th century. R.C. school-chapel from 1856; Mass said at an inn from c.1850. Earlier Catholic baptisms may have been done by priests from Blackburn. Anglican marriages of inhabitants of Lower Darwen were at Blackburn churches pre 1839.

But the original just says Lancashire Blackburn.
You can check it at HO 107/2392/65/273.

If you look at the link, the word 'Daudon' has been added after every birthplace. Comparing with the original it is clearly in error.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 25 June 21 15:00 BST (UK) »
I had a further thought: that the Michael Rice who's with John + 'Turet' in 1851 could be Turet's son, born in Blackburn Lancs but before she met John Rice. (And in that case Michael's birth surname is not Rice, which is why we can't readily find him pre-1851.)

It doesn't matter, really, what happened to any John Rice after 1851.
What's important, in finding the Turet, is what happened before 1851... whom did he marry?
D

D,
What is your interest here? Is it Michael?
You write, ‘whom did he marry’ - do you mean John?
It is puzzling if you are not bothered about John Rice after 1851.

guest259648

« Reply #70 on: Friday 25 June 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
I had a further thought: that the Michael Rice who's with John + 'Turet' in 1851 could be Turet's son, born in Blackburn Lancs but before she met John Rice. (And in that case Michael's birth surname is not Rice, which is why we can't readily find him pre-1851.)

It doesn't matter, really, what happened to any John Rice after 1851.
What's important, in finding the Turet, is what happened before 1851... whom did he marry?
D

D,
What is your interest here? Is it Michael?
You write, ‘whom did he marry’ - do you mean John?
It is puzzling if you are not bothered about John Rice after 1851.

Hello everyone
Thank you for your continuing interest - please stay around, because we haven't cracked this yet.

I confirm that the 1851 Seaham census entry for birthplace of Michael Rice states only "Lancashire Blackburn" in that order.
The parish the Rices were living in, in 1851, is Dawdon. It's the place I'm sitting in now, while typing this to you.
I'd guess that some online sites have copied the census details and a computer somewhere has attached a wrongly spelled 'Daudon' to some of the births in error.  It's definitely not 'Darwen' on the census (but that was an inspired thought, Maiden Stone.)

JenB: I agree, the Rootspoint site is wrong.

Heywood, to reply to your query: my interest is this (as I said at the outset):
      What is this name TURET which an 1851 enumerator has attached to two Irish wives who were living in the same road in Seaham Co. Durham?
     I think there's enough evidence, now, to suggest there is no such name as Turet, and therefore the name of the two Irish women has been wrongly represented.
     But I still want to know what the name should be, which is why I made the original post.

Because (as you've kindly shown) there's a possibility that John Rice re-married quite soon after the 1851 census, there is no certainty that TURET would be with him in later records.
     We can't search for Turet's death because we don't know what first name we're looking for.
So this is why I am looking backwards from 1851, to the point where John Rice married Turet - because a marriage entry would give her correct first name.

Turet seems to be 10 years older than John Rice on the 1851 (she's given as 40, he's logged as 30), so her marriage to John could well be a second marriage for her, and her son Michael Rice born Blackburn c. 1840 belongs to an earlier marriage.
     If this theory is correct, there definitely should be a marriage entry for John & Turet in England between about 1840 - 1851 (Lancs? Yorks? Durham?), rather than Ireland (even though they're both born in Ireland), because she was already in Lancs when she had her son.
     Trouble is, I haven't found a marriage yet, but I'm hopeful...

Does that help clarify?

D

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 25 June 21 17:48 BST (UK) »
So probably your interest is like mine - curiosity  :)

There are various marriages in Ireland for Michael McMahon and John Rice to Bridget’s, Margarets etc.