Author Topic: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Christian name TURET, does it exist?
« Reply #72 on: Friday 25 June 21 17:51 BST (UK) »

If this theory is correct, there definitely should be a marriage entry for John & Turet in England between about 1840 - 1851 (Lancs? Yorks? Durham?), rather than Ireland (even though they're both born in Ireland), because she was already in Lancs when she had her son.
     Trouble is, I haven't found a marriage yet, but I'm hopeful...

You are assuming that there was a marriage. Not necessarily the case.....
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #73 on: Friday 25 June 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
If this theory is correct, there definitely should be a marriage entry for John & Turet in England between about 1840 - 1851 (Lancs? Yorks? Durham?), rather than Ireland (even though they're both born in Ireland), because she was already in Lancs when she had her son.
     Trouble is, I haven't found a marriage yet, but I'm hopeful...

You are assuming that there was a marriage. Not necessarily the case.....

JenB
hahaha
I assume nothing. And with humans, anything is possible :-)
I keep all options open and explore them one at a time, and see where it leads.

Given that this 1851 enumerator is not 100% reliable, and the writing was often very 'flowery', I'm also considering the possibility that the surname should be PRICE.
And that both parties could be single, or both could be widowed...

xx

guest259648

« Reply #74 on: Friday 25 June 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
So probably your interest is like mine - curiosity  :)

There are various marriages in Ireland for Michael McMahon and John Rice to Bridget’s, Margarets etc.

Heywood
Curiosity is always strongly there - but I'm interested in accuracy and correctness... and I'm also studying the arrival of the Irish in Dawdon parish and would like to find their origins, and the reasons why they chose Co. Durham as a place to 'make a go of it', having (more often than not) fled from what they had, in their home land.

D

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 25 June 21 18:33 BST (UK) »
So in the general interest in the Irish in Dawdon/Durham, the death of Julia Rice would be useful.

Do you have access to parish records which you could cross check for Godparents/witnesses etc
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 25 June 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
Have you followed up the names of the three other people in the household ('visitors') in 1851 to see if there are any leads there? (i.e. family links)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #77 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:01 BST (UK) »
So in the general interest in the Irish in Dawdon/Durham, the death of Julia Rice would be useful.

Do you have access to parish records which you could cross check for Godparents/witnesses etc

Heywood
I think we're all intrigued by Julia Rice!  Since you pointed it out, I've discovered that the name 'Julia' is more common among the Irish community than I'd thought.
     I can only see what we can all see online, unless I spend lots of money on certificates etc., which is beyond my capability.

D x

guest259648

« Reply #78 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Have you followed up the names of the three other people in the household ('visitors') in 1851 to see if there are any leads there? (i.e. family links)

JenB
That's a great idea and it's wise to seize every chance to widen the picture.

I had chased up those 3 visitors: the surnames seemed a little wildly written by this enumerator (I'd love to know who he was), e.g. his 'Levline' was Devlin, 'Callon' was Callaghan; it led me to look closely at the dock-labouring community in Toxteth, Liverpool, which is perhaps where John Rice started off, when he arrived from Ireland.
But I didn't find anything to advance the search for Turet... have you seen anything helpful?

There are a lot of Irish still in this area (Dawdon). Maybe someone has a family tree which leads back to these people in Back South Railway Street, I'm making enquiries.

D

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
That’s a good idea about the trees.

There is a Bridget Race in 1851 2392/546/39, William Street could sound similar to Rice.
Then there is Owen ‘Mackman’ and family in 1851 at Back Terrace
In 1861 they are in Malcolm’s Yard - next entry is Back Rail Street
Their ages are debatable.

I am sure there is much to research  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest259648

« Reply #80 on: Saturday 26 June 21 13:47 BST (UK) »
That’s a good idea about the trees.

There is a Bridget Race in 1851 2392/546/39, William Street could sound similar to Rice.
Then there is Owen ‘Mackman’ and family in 1851 at Back Terrace
In 1861 they are in Malcolm’s Yard - next entry is Back Rail Street
Their ages are debatable.

I am sure there is much to research  ;)

Heywood
A friend of mine has 'Race' as her first name (taken from a surname). Interesting.

I found a historic pic of some of the families at Back North Rail[way] Street, just over the tracks from where the Rices lived. Astonishing shot, tells us a lot about the conditions they managed to cope with.
How do we insert photos on Rootchat, uploaded from computer?
D