Author Topic: Lookup Request- Hackney Censuses 1811, 1821, 1831 for John Blackburn  (Read 457 times)

Offline Kay Ce

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup Request- Hackney Censuses 1811, 1821, 1831 for John Blackburn
« on: Tuesday 22 June 21 13:55 BST (UK) »
John & Mary Blackburn had 6 children christened in Hackney St. John parish during the years 1806 to 1817.  I could find no other references to them in the Parish records - couldn’t find any marriage record either for John & Mary in St. John at Hackney.

Christenings:
Mary Ann - June 29, 1806
                (Buried Feb.11, 1808)
Anne        - July 24, 1808
John         - Dec.2, 1810
George      - Aug. 29, 1813
Elizabeth   - Sept.17, 1815
Thomas     - Sept. 14, 1817

The christenings of George, Elizabeth &Thomas gave the family abode as Wick, Hackney and the father’s occupation as silk throwster ( for George & Elizabeth) and as crape manufacturer for Thomas.  John Blackburn, the father, likely worked at the Silk Mill near Hackney Wick.
So I know the family lived in/near Hackney Wick for at least 1813-1817.
 I found a London Land Tax record for a John Blackburn, tenant at Botany Bay, Cass Estate, Hackney St. John for the years 1819 & 1820 - although I can’t be sure this is the same John Blackburn ( there was at least one other John Blackburn with wife Rose that had children christened in St. John at Hackney during years 1793-1805).

I am trying to discover if this John & Mary Blackburn family could possibly be the same John & Mary Blackburn family that emigrated to Quebec, Canada in 1825/26 (my ancestors).  The names and ages of the children all match, and the John Blackburn family in Quebec had resided at Globe Lane, Mile End (close to Hackney Wick) immediately prior to emigrating to Canada.

I realize the early censuses don’t give a lot of information, but might give some little clue as to whether it is possible these Blackburn families are actually the same family that simply moved residences a few times.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide that could help me solve this riddle.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Request- Hackney Censuses 1811, 1821, 1831 for John Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 16:08 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

These censuses are ‘Heads of Household’ only.

The 1811 index has the following entries:
BLACKBOURNE James     Smiths Buildings, Wick Street     Silk Thrower     Bk 4 p25
BLACKBURN Frederick     Robinsons Row     Gentleman     Bk 3 p28
BLACKBURNE James     Bakers Row     Labourer     Bk 4 p23

The 1831 index has no BLACKB*URN* entries. I don’t have access to the 1821 index.

For fuller information you will probably need to contact Hackney Archives, who hold the returns for all three censuses.
archives@hackney.gov.uk

Offline Kay Ce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
Bookbox -thank you for replying with the Hackney 1811 & 1831 census information. 

I wonder why no John Blackburn was enumerated in the 1811 census, as John Blackburn had sons christened in Hackney St. John in 1810 & 1813, so I would have thought he was living in Hackney or Hackney-Wick at the time of the 1811 census ?  (in 1813 the christening record did say the family abode was Wick Hackney).  I suppose some residents could have been missed by the census of course or perhaps some Hackney records are lost. 
Would you know how complete the 1811 census for Hackney was, whether any districts are missing ?  Is it possible there was a transcription error in the index and that the “James” Blackburn, silk thrower was actually “John” Blackburn - the handwriting in old records can be hard to decipher.

I did see a James & Susannah Blackburn having several children christened in the St.John Hackney parish records, (around the same time as John & Mary Blackburn were having children christened) this was likely one of the James Blackburns in the 1811 census that you mentioned.

Perhaps I will be able to find out if John Blackburn appears in the 1821 Hackney census, thank you for the reference.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 01:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder why no John Blackburn was enumerated in the 1811 census, as John Blackburn had sons christened in Hackney St. John in 1810 & 1813, so I would have thought he was living in Hackney or Hackney-Wick at the time of the 1811 census ?

I think you may have misunderstood how limited this type of census is. As mentioned above, the names are only the heads of households.

John may have been living in the same household as James, or in another household of which he was not the head. So he may well have been in Hackney but not listed by name in the census.

If you can get the full census entries from Hackney Archives you will not get any more names, but it should tell you the numbers and age-ranges of males and females in James' household, which may provide a further clue.

Offline Kay Ce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 13:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder why no John Blackburn was enumerated in the 1811 census, as John Blackburn had sons christened in Hackney St. John in 1810 & 1813, so I would have thought he was living in Hackney or Hackney-Wick at the time of the 1811 census ?

John may have been living in the same household as James, or in another household of which he was not the head. So he may well have been in Hackney but not listed by name in the census.

Oh, of course, why didn’t I think of that  :)  !!
 I have run across exactly that occurrence in the early Canadian censuses.
 I am going to try the Hackney Archives you directed me to and see what further information I might find...as you say, perhaps some little clue will still turn up.
At least I know some Blackburns/Blackbourns were in the area, and since there were only three of them enumerated, it should be easier to gather their information...fingers crossed !
Thank you again, this was great!