Author Topic: Probate Calendar  (Read 597 times)

Offline BobWatsit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Probate Calendar
« on: Tuesday 22 June 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ya. I'm new to deciphering wills and probates. Please can someone help me to interpret what the information on the attachment is telling me. Ie are these the people who were left the money. They are not family members and so far I have not found any children.

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Calendar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 16:47 BST (UK) »
Confirmation in Scotland is basically the same as applying for a grant of probate in England. The names given are the names of those responsible for settling the estate.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This Will comes up on Scotlands People under the name of Helen Meikle, same address.  For those Scottish people who also held property in England; real estate, funds etc.,  Wills also needed to be registered at one of the courts there.  Hence the reference you have found.  A digital copy of this registration document can be ordered from the GRO for £1.50 although the Scottish one will possibly tell you more.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qp3/

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 20:08 BST (UK) »
Br1gau posted while I was typing, so to add a little:

The sealing in England doesn't generate any records beyond what you see in the probate index, so it's not worth ordering anything based on that.

Where the original confirmation was in Scotland, and before 1925, you can download the relevant documents from Scotland's People. You have to buy credits there to do this - these can also be used for getting copies of BMD registrations and census entries.

In this case, the papers are indexed under the name Helen Meikle, and there are sets of images available for the will (ref. SC70/4/484) and the inventory (SC70/1/581). Each set will cost 10 credits.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 20:16 BST (UK) »
Ha,

Your eyes are better than mine!  I only spotted the inventory.  Sometimes I have found interesting extras such as bequests and codicils in the English ones.  But you're right, if they exist, they are usually mentioned in the register, so you know what to expect before ordering.

Offline BobWatsit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 22:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the help. That is amazing.

I will try and download the documents shortly.