Author Topic: Who was the first wife?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who was the first wife?
« on: Tuesday 22 June 21 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone.

I don't think I have asked this before but it has become something of a brick wall.

I have a Samuel Henry born 1861 in Belfast and married in 1900 to Sophia McCormick.
However on his marriage certificate of 1900 he is said to be a widower. As I have no details
whatsoever of the first marriage I am wondering if anyone might be able to help.

Thanks.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the first wife?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 19:28 BST (UK) »
Marriage (1900) gives Samuel Henry as a plasterer and father Patrick Henry a grocer- all inportant clues when looking for Samuel's previous marriage.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1900/10342/5765201.pdf

Using an online database nothing shows up in County Antrim or County Down for another Samuel Henry marriage with father Patrick so it's possible the previous marriage didn't take place in Belfast area.

Death for a Patrick Henry, grocer, in Belfast, could possibly be your Samuel's father-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1895/05917/4679944.pdf
The Will of Patrick Henry late of 29 M'Cleery-street Belfast Grocer who died 23 October 1895 was proved at Belfast by Peter M'Namee of Great Patrick-street Belfast Spirit Dealer and James Corr of Chichester-street Belfast Rent Agent the Executors. Effects £22. Will mentions 3 sons (William, Samuel, James) & daughters (Mary Jane, Rose, Catherine)
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey

It probably is possible that the marriage was not in Belfast.
I maybe should look further afield.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
It doesn't answer your question but....

Patrick Henry married Catherine McDonald (or McDonnel) in Delvin (Westmeath) 24/1/1866. They had children recorded under Delvin, Mary Ann 1868, Rose Anne 1874, Margaret 1878. Catherine died in Belfast 25/10/1890, Son Samuel was informant for her death , son James Joseph for his father's . On Mary Ann's registration , Patrick is a shopkeeper, on the other two a farmer. The births of the other children mentioned in will have still to be found ( there are an awful lot of Henry's )

Cheers

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
It doesn't answer your question but....
Patrick Henry married Catherine McDonald (or McDonnel) in Delvin (Westmeath) 24/1/1866. They had children recorded under Delvin, Mary Ann 1868, Rose Anne 1874, Margaret 1878. Catherine died in Belfast 25/10/1890, Son Samuel was informant for her death , son James Joseph for his father's . On Mary Ann's registration , Patrick is a shopkeeper, on the other two a farmer. The births of the other children mentioned in will have still to be found ( there are an awful lot of Henry's )

Marriage of Patrick Henry & Catherine McDonald-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1866/11524/8238139.pdf

Is this Patrick of Glenidon, Co. Westmeath anything at all to do with the Patrick Henry of this thread?

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Ah, the plot thickens....

A Patrick Henry, grocer (and sometime publican) of Henry St Belfast and Catherine Kane had a daughter Roseann born Dec 1867 (registered1868), followed by Patrick Joseph 26/11/1869, Joseph 28/12/1871, and possibly others ( brain fug set in).  So one Patrick or two ?? There are at least two versions on Ancestry....hmmm

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
You still haven't explained how, or if, the Patrick Henry from Westmeath could fit into the family the OP is/was researching  ???

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 23:49 BST (UK) »
Apologies, up wrong tree was barking. Patrick Henry and Catherine Kane had son Samuel baptised in St Patrick's Belfast 1861. I was making classic 2+2 = 5 🙄. I cannot identify a death of first wife and the 1901 census shows no sign of children by first wife (no Henry grandchildren). But note the unusual birthplace of second wife (India). Was there a military connection? Did first marriage and death of spouse occur there? When brain has rebooted will investigate tomorrow 🙂 ( am away from computer and notes at moment)