Author Topic: Who was the first wife?  (Read 661 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was the first wife?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 September 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
Samuel Henry died at 140 Great Georges St, Belfast, 18th July 1924. Informant Catherine Kelly, daughter (born 1/4/1900, not long after her parent's wedding  :) )

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 September 21 16:17 BST (UK) »
A theory;-

Since there are no Henry grandchildren living with Samuel and new McCormick in laws in 1901, we have several possible conclusions . 1. His first marriage was brief and produced no offspring. 2. He had children but they are living with his deceased wife's family. 3, It all happened abroad.
After a prolonged search there is no obvious sign of his previous marriage or wife's death, or children in Ireland, and a look at the Scottish indexes shows no likely candidates for any of these. England is possible but unlikely. I have had a previous case where there was emigration to North America followed by a failure to settle successfully and return to Ireland . Could this be another one ? There are multiple Samuel Henrys on ship passenger lists and Canadian census returns including one who is a "labourer" born Ireland, but none of them quite fit. Maybe someone else could have better luck (and a higher level subscription to Ancestry/ Findmypast  ::) )

Offline ab196

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 September 21 20:23 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone.

I want to thank all of you for your efforts in trying to help me solve this mystery. It is appreciated.

I have quite a bit of information on the Henry family - some discovered after a lot of searching but also quite a lot passed on to me by gaffy and aghadowey and so many other kind people on this site.

Just a few things to note:- The Patrick Henry from Glenidon, Co. Westmeath is not connected to this family. Patrick Henry married to Catherine Kane is the correct one and the names of the children of those parents are correct also.

The India connection concerns Bridget Sophia McCormick, daughter of James and Catherine. She was born in Tamil Nadu when James was in the military.

Rose Henry was married to Richard Mason and she and her son, daughter -in-law and grandchildren lost their lives in the Belfast blitz when Burke Street was wiped out during World War II.

The Henry living in Cape Street is also correct as is Mary married to Hennessey.

I found the part about Samuel making his mark at one wedding and signing at another interesting as stories passed down the family mentioned his love of books which would indicate his ability to read and write.

Patrick Henry died in 1895.

I have thought in the past that perhaps stating that Samuel Henry was a widower on his wedding day to Sophia was a mistake - but what a mistake!

So I guess the mystery still remains unsolved.