Author Topic: Help reading this part of a service record  (Read 343 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help reading this part of a service record
« on: Tuesday 22 June 21 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I received a service record yesterday, but unfortunately a few pages aren’t too legible. This subsection in particular was of interest. The question was:

‘Have you ever served in the Royal Navy, the Army, the Royal Air Force, the Royal Marines, the Militia, the Special Reserve, or Supplementary Reserve, the Territorial Force or Army, the Imperial Yeomanry, the Volunteers, the Army Reserve, the Air Force Reserve, the Militia Reserve, or any Naval Reserve Force? If so, *state particulars (i.e) if you have served in any of the Naval, Military, or Air Forces, Regiment, Army or Regimental Number, date and cause of discharge? Particulars of ALL engagements on which you have served to be stated’

I know he joined the Army in April 1918, in the Cheshire Yeomanry. He was briefly in the Tank Corps in 1919, before joining the RASC and staying on till 1921. The service record was from his second spell in the Army, from 1939 to 1940, and the photographed subsection was from his enlistment in the Territorial Army in 1929.

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help reading this part of a service record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 19:08 BST (UK) »
Fife and Forfar Yeo (manry) and RASC 29 1 17 to 24 10 19.  RASC  Sec D Army Reserve 18 4 23 to 17 4 24 Discharged T/E (Time expired)
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much! It doesn’t fully align with what’s known otherwise, as he enlisted in the Cheshire Yeomanry in 1918. Could he have been discharged from the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry as underage and later joined the Cheshire Yeomanry having had experience in that type of regiment? He was indeed in the RASC in 1919 and signed on for another 27 months but there’s no mention of him leaving in 1921. He was definitely in the Army during those years, as he’s listed as a military voter in Leeds.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
The answers he gave to the question on the form are his so if he was in the Cheshire Yeomanry in 1918 why didn't he mention it?  Although the Cheshire Yeomanry didn't exist in 1918 as such (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Yeomanry).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia