Author Topic: Vaughan Family  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Vaughan Family
« on: Wednesday 23 June 21 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. this will be a bit long winded.

Robert Vaughan b:1852 Sydney - d:1933 Mortdale, Sydney. Robert is my 2xgreat grandfather and that is confirmed. His baptism states that his father was also Robert and mother was Margaret Lynch. Thats where is goes dead on his parents. I have his records sorted 2 marriages, kids etc.
My great grandfather was Henry Neville Livingstone Vaughan b:1884 d:1972.

Now there is some confusion amongst the family as they also have a Henry Edward Vaughan b: 1842 Sydney d: 1901 Katoomba in the mix.

His father was Henry John b: 1791 Isleworth, England d: 1871 Sydney. He was a convict and eventually a very successful business man, as was Henry Edward. Realestate.

The family has heaps of photos and stuff of Henry Edward and they believe that he our 2x great grandfather. All my research and some personal notes from my grandmother point to Robert Vaughan.

One more thing Henry John is believed to have left a wife behind in England with possibly for children. A wild guess but could one of them be Robert?

How can I go about finding out the connection?

Thanks heaps

Chucky
Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vaughan Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 07:09 BST (UK) »

If your research gives you -

"Robert VAUGHAN b:1852 Sydney - d:1933 Mortdale.....is my 2xgreat grandfather and that is confirmed".

Why are you interested in another researcher's suggestion? -

"...Henry Edward (VAUGHAN) and they believe that he our 2x great grandfather."

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Chucky,

Was Robert the youngest child?  If not, then likely the births of his younger siblings would be registered after February 1856.  1 March 1856 saw the commencement of civil registrations in NSW, and the informant was required to supply lots of information that was not needed for noting on baptisms.   The civil registration process required details about the baby's older siblings.  So for example, the birth cert (or official transcription) for Robert's youngest sibling, if in the civil registration process, will have details about their parents (ages, places of birth, mum's maiden name, dad's occupation, when and where married) and about the older children of that marriage, AND for the baby whose birth is being registered, then there's also the info about where they were born, the name/signature of the person registering the birth and their relationship to that baby, and the names of the witnesses (including perhaps the midwife and the assistant).

If given the option, the official transcription is as good as the more expensive real deal certificate, and better still it has been transcribed by experienced people familiar with the handwriting of those deputy registrars from that era.  So if you know the name of the youngest child, and they were born in NSW after Feb 1856, their NSW birth official transcription should give you a huge picture of the family unit for around $Au20.00

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 08:21 BST (UK) »
By 1860, living in Sydney, there were at least four adults by name of Henry VAUGHAN. 
A miller, a hairdresser, a dealer, an auctioneer.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 08:27 BST (UK) »

Is this the marriage of the parents of your Henry William Livingstone VAUGHAN?.  You need to see this record.

BDM NSW marriage
1972/1883 VAUGHAN     Robert   x.  EVERSON   May H(annah)  E(lizabeth)       @    Sydney

Offline Chucky_60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

To answer your question Robert Vaughan b:1852 Sydney - d:1933 Mortdale is the only record that I have been able to find. I don't know if he has any siblings and by default if he is the youngest child.

He married twice Jane Purcell in 1876 and May Hannah Elizabeth Everson in 1883. I have all of the records for both marriages and the children.

It's his parents that are the roadblock. His baptism register says they are Robert and Margaret Lynch. I have not been able to find anything for a marriage or birth and death records of either Robert or Margaret.

If I can firm up those details I might be able to then work out what the relationship with Henry Edward Vaughan and Henry John Vaughan is.

Oh, I'm reluctant to spend the $35 that NSW ask for if there is no more information on the register than I already have.

The other comment about Henry Neville Livingstone Vaughan, yes Robert and May H. E. Everson are his parents.

Cheers

Vaughan & Everson, Stilling & Smith, Crocker & Hogg, Northey & England, deCheppe & Barley, Broad & Wise

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 10:24 BST (UK) »
I did not suggest you purchase the real deal $35 cert.

I did write about the Official Transcription and so I now again  mention at present the cost is around $20.

Can you please type up the information from his baptism record that you hold.  Please include the denomination and the clergyman and the parish.

JM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 10:35 BST (UK) »

Ancestry Sydney Parishes   

St Mattias Paddington  baptism  11 Aug 1886
VAUGHAN  Henry Neville Livingstone      b.  1 Jul 1884
VAUGHAN  Leslie Rupert                        b. 10 Jun 1886

parents Robert and May Hannah Elizabeth    res. 29 John St

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 11:14 BST (UK) »

Ancestry Sydney Anglican Parishes 

St Peters Woolloomooloo  27 Dec 1883
VAUGHAN Robert   widower   chromoprinter  full age   b. Sydney  res.  Darlinghaurst
Parents  Robert VAUGHAN  Elizabeth MINNETT

EVERSON Mary Hannah Elizabeth  spinster  full age  b. Sydney  res. Woollahra
Parents  John Edward EVERSON, farmer,  May Hannah YOULE

Wittness  C. A. (J?)  SIMPSON     C. *.  BREWER

(parents for Robert VAUGHAN....deceased.  Unsure if it means father and/or mother)