Author Topic: Male relative listed as female with female name on birth certificate? Vic 1870s  (Read 889 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I would speculate that a mishearing by a possibly hard of hearing “registrar” is the more likely scenario.

The names do sound quite similar when spoken, and he may have assumed the child was female as he thought that the middle name was Louisa.  :)

Yes, it is quite possible that Frances never saw his own b/c.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Yes, Ruskie is right ....

1870s  .... ummm.... did the informant sign or make their mark?  Was the informant given the opportunity to actually read the entire entry or did the clerk record it in the register book  that faced him,  and thereby expected the informant to read "upside down"  before being asked to "sign here" ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JM or one of the others may know ….. what is the chance that a record of baptism exists for Franc*s and if so, where to begin searching for it? (In the hope that it clarifies the given names)  :)