Author Topic: Michael Brogan  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Sinton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Brogan
« on: Wednesday 23 June 21 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm trying to find out information about my great grandparents. Unfortunately I don't know much information about them only that my grandfather was called Michael Brogan and he had a son called Michael Brogan who was born in Scotland in 1917 and died in Durham in 1968. I have attached my grandads marriage certificate which is how I know my great grandad had the same name. The certificate shows my grandads military service number but I've had no luck tracing that for any information either. I no longer have any living relatives to help with this search and have tried Scotland's people, ancestry and find my past etc but with no success. The certificate shows that my great grandfather had died before the wedding in 1942 and that he used to be a coal trimmer. Thanks

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Brogan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
Cert date being 25Jan1942, he was more likely to have been born 1916.
Unless his bday was pre January 25th.

Edit: however if he is the MB died Dec1968 age 51 Durham... then perhaps he was born Jan 1917.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
I guess this is the birth record of MICHAEL BROGAN 1917 Anderston, Glasgow.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
Do you have the 1917 Scotland birth record? With both parents names you should be able to find a marriage and then more information from there ….
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 June 21 10:59 BST (UK) »
Looking at the number of possible Michael Brogan marriages in the Glasgow area, including two in Anderston, together with the number of that name on the 1911 census and Valuation Rolls, the birth record will be essential. For £7:50 you can get the that record and if used wisely a few more.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 June 21 11:03 BST (UK) »
Regarding the military service. The WW2 records are still with the Ministry of Defence, where you would have to apply for the record.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Sinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 June 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately we don’t have the birth record to confirm the parents details. The record we found on Scottish history for a Michael Brogan born 1917 had a father called Alexander. We only know 1917 was when he was born because of the death index record on Ancestry but it could have been 1916 and we don’t know for definite if he was born in Scotland but we were told that his family lived there by a relative who is no longer with us.

copyright image removed

Offline Sinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 June 21 11:31 BST (UK) »
The 1968 death index record on ancestry is definitely his. He is buried at Metal Bridge cemetery in Durham alongside his wife Ethena. Unfortunately the only records the church has is his grave location and his name. We visited the cemetery but he doesn’t have a headstone.

Offline Sinton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 June 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
We looked into the military records. It will cost £30 but I’m not sure what information it would tell us. I think the service number on the marriage certificate looks like 1537401