Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 23rd June  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 23rd June
« on: Wednesday 23 June 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
On Tuesday I'd been into town to buy a new freezer from a local business, it was being delivered this afternoon. Spent the morning moving things out of the garage into the garden so they had plenty of room to get through, moving the old freezer out of the way and cleaning the area where it had been. Also cut the front lawn and tidied the flowerbeds and borders.
The new freezer arrived in the afternoon, it had to be left an hour for the gases to stabilise before plugging it in, then a couple more for it to get to temperature. Put everything back in the garage then eventually went for a walk, it was a warm day although the sun had gone. Sat in the garden with my Kindle for a little while. Tired.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Indiana.59

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 23rd June
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 21 06:54 BST (UK) »
Diary > Wednesday 23rd June

Talking about Freezers, last winter we had a rather cold one and I awoke to the freezer part of my fridgefreezer being off and that was in the house, I found out that under 10c it can knock your freezer off because it is actually to cold for it, the fridge part on the other hand was still working, so when buying one that says not suitable for garages, or for outhouses, it means just that, so just why was my house so cold, I had in December adopted 2 abandoned cats, at that time the tomcat did not like to be to trapped in the house in any way, so I left a window open in the kitchen so he could slip in and out anytime he liked and this dropped the temperature in the kitchen where the fridgefreezer was kept, so I had to move the fridgefreezer into the lounge to keep it warm, I thought my fridgefreezer was a total gonna until I read the manual that came with it, then it was "Phew" all round as the freezer part was chocker with food, then after a few hours in the lounge where it was warmer the freezer part kicked in again, happy days, a live and learn experience, and certainly a day in my diary  . . . : )

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 21 07:40 BST (UK) »
Nice to know it is all clean and hygienic, Roobarb, and I hope you are feeling more energetic today. Great news your friend loved her portrait.

Useful info for you (us all,) Indiana. Did the cats settle?

Yesterday I did a stint for National Trust, which turned out to be the sunniest day of the week again. Sitting in the garden with my lunch was good for my soul. A robin came and sat near me for a while to try his luck, but I didn't offer him any of my salad.
Quite busy there yesterday and far more people than were known to be booked, paid and expected. It was too windy to sit out by the time I arrived home.
At tea time the micro wave gave me a fright by blowing its fuse moments after I had removed the vegetables, but it has done around 6 or 7 years of sterling service, so perhaps I should have been expecting its demise.
Quite late in the evening I went out around the cliff walk as I felt it had been a sedentary type of day.  The full moon was casting a pink reflection across the bay, few people were out, and the wind had dropped.  A bat circled above my head a few times, and I felt better for having a little exertion.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
I don't think I'd have been spending much time in the kitchen Indiana if it was as cold as yours, brrrr!

Hope you managed to keep warm at the NT property MH. Sounds like a lovely evening walk for you. It's strange at this time of year, I looked out of the window the other day at 10pm and it was broad daylight, I could have easily gone out for a walk.
Hope your new microwave isn't too expensive.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 June 21 10:52 BST (UK) »
The special moon was mentioned during the weather forecast yesterday evening, but for the life of me can’t remember, coral ,rose, whatever —-pertained to the pink colour .
Whew Roobarb, you are energetic!l
I too need a new microwave, on the basis the finish ,ie sort of paint surface is peeling at the front inside edge.I believe they are not safe when that happens .
It is a Panasonic ,have had it about four and a half years.
I insure all my stuff with D&G,but of course not a relatively inexpensive item like a microwave ,but I have bonus points and can get other white goods
with a big discount or even free!
Must look into that.
Well taratada,
After tomorrow one eye drop (four times a day) can  be stopped!
So down to eighteen times .
Next appt on July 1st so perhaps more can be stopped after that .

Has rained in the night and quite cool and dull today .
Sorted out bed linen yesterday,have sooo much, there were five beds —-,double,four singles .
The fourth single was if Uni friends came to stay etc.
Now of course only one single used.
I have three sets of curtains ,bedspreads etc for my room ,Laura Ashley little tiny rosebuds, LA Toile de Juoy Oops no - spelling looks wrong,  the French inspired one with pastoral scenes of shepherdesses ,etc etc and a lovely textured one  white with green stripes .looks like something from a period drama, Jane Austen .
Then soooo many sheets and pillowcases .
Can remember when first married to have three sets you were well off!
I ought to be ruthless and give some to charity.
However ,they are all sorted and in an ottoman , single stuff ,in my room.

Double stuff in the drawers of the double bed, and  some  in three matching suitcases all airtight under my bed .
When I can see better I can sort cream from white as at  the moment I can not see the difference.
Gosh, buying single flannelette  sheets to make cot sheets ,cheaper than cot  sheets.

Using old hemmed bits from the good parts of old sheets for “ draw sheets” ,the smaller sheet that went across the middle of the cot where it was most likely to get damp,with a waterproof sheet under it ,no plastic pants or disposables then!
How did we manage with no washers!
But we did.

Just another cuppa to keep up the fluid intake (  ::))
You can always fund an excuse— reason !

Well brightening up somewhat.
Ŷ
 Which NT property Mowsehowse?
Anyone of note lived there?
My OH and I thought about taking on the management if a NT property in Yorkshire ,under NT auspices of course .Drove over to look at it, there were not guided tours but informed NT personnel on hand to give information .
We went into one small room ,and Whoa!
Drop in temperature was so great and an uncomfortable feeling ,
Granted it was not on the sunny side of the house ,but so cold , we mentioned it to the NT guide nearby, she said some people did comment on the chill in that room.No bumps in the night reported though!
Then my OH was offered promotion so we did not pursue it further.
To be truthful it needed people with more experience in that kind of administration than we could have taken to the position.

Well must get on ,pinger will go again in a moment so hands washed etc etc etc.
Cheerio .Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 June 21 14:12 BST (UK) »
Lovely sunny day and a good drying day.

Left at 3pm for my 3.30 eye check-up - just had to wait a few minutes when I got there.   Much easier with this branch in a supermarket - easy drive there and free parking of course.   A smaller unit than the huge store in town but found it much friendlier.   

New prescription so new glasses (hated the last ones soon after getting them) - was hoping they'd say right eye was now ready for cataract op (left eye done 3 years ago) but it's still not bad enough yet!!

Had checked their website beforehand and picked out 3 pairs of glasses to try - alas, left the paper with details at home in my study.   Tried around 6 different pairs but none seemed right for one reason or another - eventually the lady helping me at this last stage said she could think of a pair I might like.   When she came back with them she was right - they were the ones.

So now duly ordered and go back to get them in 2 weeks.

At the moment it looks like our 'Christmas Day' family dinner/day in the garden might have to be cancelled.   Forecast is 40% chance of light rain and everyone going into panic mode.   Been suggested we put back a week but with my cousin from Dorset coming with her husband on Sunday for a weeks stay at my sisters we can hardly abandon them on the Saturday.   So watch this space......

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 June 21 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hope your Christmas get together works out Annette
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 June 21 23:26 BST (UK) »
Apparently it's a Strawberry Super Moon, Viktoria.
Just saw it rising as we walked home in light rain from a local theatre Agatha Christie production. Very good, and audience not crowded.
However, heavy cloud cover here, so moon not visible for more than a few minutes, sadly.
2 police cars stopped on the promenade, and in the park for about 20 minutes or more.... that is not a road, so something must have been going on. 
Shame to be so nosy but not to be able to see much!! :P
The NT property I volunteer at is Compton Castle. I don't think we have any ghosts.
Most famously, it was Sir Humphrey Gilbert who lived there.... (senior by 18 years,) half brother to Sir Walter Raleigh, he claimed Newfoundland for Good Queen Bess, and started the colony of St John's there, but he was supposed to be finding the North West passage, and drowned on the voyage home, so not a totally successful trip.
Not sure about paint on your microwave. H doesn't think peeling paint would make it unsafe. Mostly there for hygiene, and to look nicer.
Fantastic how you keep so busy, but it must feel good to know all your linen is so sorted and tidy.

Annette, I do hope your family get together works out ok.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 June 21 17:10 BST (UK) »
Eventful day here.  Still frantically trying to gut and scrub the house hindered by tiredness and other duties getting in the way.  Still uploading all my sources onto my online tree.  TBH starting to feel really laborious and starting to stress that it still won't be enough to count as a proper researcher.

Had surveyor in to measure up for new boiler and radiators so just waiting for date for installation.

There was an attempted murder in the neighbouring town and the getaway car was found dumped behind the houses across the road so had the police in doing door to door enquiries interviewing me.  It was quite intimidating.  Why were you asleep? why were you tired, Oh you were tired after work why what were you doing at work and so on.  They were talking about 0130 in the morning I don't think it's unusal to have been asleep but ended up feeling guilty for having been asleep.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others