Author Topic: A strange case of Bigamy & desertion - Burrell/Turrell in VIC  (Read 1369 times)

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
A strange case of Bigamy & desertion - Burrell/Turrell in VIC
« on: Thursday 24 June 21 12:30 BST (UK) »
Apologies - it's a long story!

James George BURRELL arrived in Vic 1854. Born abt 1826 Gravesend Kent, a Painter/Plumber.

Back in UK:
Elizabeth TILLOCK married George Albert TURRELL (Fishmonger) 05 Apr1847 Holy Trinity Lambeth. Both were of Gravesend Kent and were together there in 1851 census

George TURRELL arrived Vic on ship "Melbourne" 31.05.1855, age 30, a Fishmonger
 - Elizabeth was not on the ship
A possibility is Eliz'ah TURRELL arr Mar 1855, age 27 on "Caldera" but she's a "Spinster"
Looks like George Albert & Elizabeth TURRELL had family:
Henry George TURRELL, of Emerald Hill, Vic, 09.03.1859, son of George Albert & Elizabeth Turrell.
George James Turrell born Collingwood 1856 to George Albert & Elizabeth Tillock (died at 8mths)
Another child died aged 1 day in 1860 at Emerald Hill (PARENTS=George Turrell & Eliz Burrell)

Marriage: 01 November 1865 at 6 Park Hill Terrace, East Melbourne
James George BURRELL, Bach, Born: Gravesend Kent UK, Painter/Plumber, age 39, of Fitzroy
   Son of John Burrell (a Ship Tender) & Mary Ely
Elizabeth TURRELL, widow (as of 28.09.1860), one child, born Gravesend Kent age 38 of Collingwood
   Daughter of James Tillick ( Smith) & Sarah Creed (Smith)
All signed, Witnesses: Thomas Parker, Mary Parker?. Joseph Beer, Congregational Minister

One assumes that the child was Henry George TURRELL.
He then seems to take his stepfather's name and is called Henry George BURRELL
(well documented, don't need his info after this time)

James George BURRELL was the owner/publican of The Standard Hotel in Fitzroy Street Fitzroy.

He died in 1875. On his death cert his "wife" had all her facts mixed up and gave HER mother's name as James' mother (Sarah Creed)

James BURRELL wrote his will in Jan 1870. He left most things to "Elizabeth Tillock, presently residing with me ..." and James also mentions "my son Henry George Burrell"

It seems odd that he doesn't say that Elizabeth was his "Wife" when they were married 5 years earlier  ???

and then I found the following death:
A George Albert TURRELL, late of Gravesend Kent, died in 1890 in Benalla Vic. His will makes no mention of wife or family in Aust., only a sister in UK. Confirmed it's the same Geo Albert Turrell.

I suspect that divorce would have been highly unlikely in 1850-1860 either UK or Australia

So who was Henry G Turrell's father?
Did Elizabeth commit bigamy?
Wonder if James knew that Elizabeth wasn't totally truthful!

Would love to know the whole story (unlikely) but any small items would be advantageous.

Cheers
Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A strange case of Bigamy & desertion - Burrell/Turrell in VIC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 21 07:54 BST (UK) »
Another possiblility for the arrival in Melbourne for Elizabeth:

Public record Office of Vic. Assisted and Unassisted arrivals 1839-1923.
Elizabeth Tyrell, Mary female child age 2, Male infant   May 1853 per "Bride"

I notice that Elizabeth's will in 1905 names Mary Adelaide Burrell and this could be the same Mary as above. The license of the Standard Hotel in Fitzroy was transferred to her from Henry George Burrell 5 Dec 1895 ( Trove.nla.gov.au)

Also George Albert Turrell is also known as Tyrell as per his will PROV 1890.

shume
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 21 08:13 BST (UK) »
That's interesting shume. Thank you.

Mary Adelaide Burrell is the widow of Henry George Burrell - ie Elizabeth's daughter-in-law.

The 1851 census in UK only has George & Elizabeth - no children mentioned. Obviously the children might be away from home on census night - I'll see if I can find them.

I surmise that George changed him name when he left Elizabeth so she wouldn't be able to find him but have no way of finding when they separated. Was it before or after Henry was born - possibly making Henry the child of James Burrell?

As an aside - at least 4 generations of Burrell men died when they were abt 49. I don't recall any one reaching their 50th birthday.  :(

Thanks again for your input - the search continues ...

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 21 08:36 BST (UK) »

"..Both were of Gravesend Kent and were together there in 1851 census"

Can you identify this entry, Census 1851, please....names ages etc.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 21 08:54 BST (UK) »

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 June 21 09:31 BST (UK) »
I would venture to speculate that none of the children listed were fathered by George Albert TURRELL

It seems a long time without children from the TURELL/TILLOCK marriage in 1847 to the arrival of one child  in Australia in 1856.

I suspect also that the arrival you have per 'Caldera' in 1855, is not her. It seems to be a month earlier than her husband. Unusual in the goldrush.  Often the husband would come ahead, but not the other way round.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 June 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
You bought this certificate because you are researching the origins of.....who?

BDM VIC marr
4368/1865   BURRELL James George    marr.  TURRELL, Elizabeth

These would seem to be relevant?

BDM VIC death

1875 / 49  BURRELL    James George   parents  Sarah CREED / John
place of birth GRAV     spouse TURRELL, Elizabeth    age 49

1873 / 2610 BURRELL     Edward James Ely  parents  Mary ELY /  John
place of birth  GRAV    spouse SQUIBB, Lavinia Jane     age 47

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 June 21 12:19 BST (UK) »
Think it must be this one

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGLM-55S

Thanks mckha489 - that's the right record for 1851 census entry.

I would venture to speculate that none of the children listed were fathered by George Albert TURRELL

It seems a long time without children from the TURELL/TILLOCK marriage in 1847 to the arrival of one child  in Australia in 1856.

I suspect also that the arrival you have per 'Caldera' in 1855, is not her. It seems to be a month earlier than her husband. Unusual in the goldrush.  Often the husband would come ahead, but not the other way round.

Sue

Actually Sue I agree on all counts. I haven't find any children born to Eliz & George in UK between 1847 and 1855.

If all were children of James & Elizabeth why would Elizabeth register them with George Albert as their father? My only thought was that the official asked "Who's your husband?" so she said George!

wivenhoe - I was looking for info about James Burrell following his arrival in Victoria in 1854. I wasn't expecting to find a rather tangled web with confusing names like Burrell & Turrell together.

The death in 1875 is for James Burrell - my primary interest. His mother's name is incorrect as "Sarah Creed" was actually Elizabeth's mother's name.
Edward James E Burrell was James brother. He was drowned whilst fishing in Hobson's Bay. Don't know when he arrived.

Thanks everyone for your input - every little bit adds to the story
  :-*

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 June 21 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
From the Victorian Rates books records.

It is a guess because occupations are not indicated in the early rates books, but it looks like James BURRELL was in South Melbourne in 1855 and 1856 in the areas of York Street and Cecil street.

By 1860 he is in Fitzroy Street, Fitzroy as you have mentioned. A look at a map will show you that this street is not far from the suburb of Collingwood where a child was born to Elizabeth
He opened the Standard Hotel in Fitzroy Street in 1865

Emerald Hill was the name given to the municipality of South Melbourne during the period 1855-83 and it was here that the first birth was registered to Elizabeth.

A download of the birth certificate of any of the children will give additional information about parents.

Name
Date
Place
Father's name
Father's occupation
Father's age
Father's birthplace
Mother's name
Maiden name
Mother's age
Mother's birthplace
Marriage date
Previous children

The cost is $20 at present.
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

I would say George Albert and Elizabeth his wife were estranged before or just following the birth of the first child you have listed and as you say, the question at the birth registration is  simply, "What is your husband's name ?" The polite assumption being he would be the child's father.  She answered honestly.

In his will as set out by Jas Geo BURRELL he is careful to not acknowledge a marriage to Elizabeth because it was bigamous.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk