Author Topic: Distance between abode locations in the family history.  (Read 954 times)

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Distance between abode locations in the family history.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 June 21 18:02 BST (UK) »
When I was reseaching Aberdeen in Scotland I came across a ship owner whose advert stated his ship could reach London in southern England in six hours, compared to today's modern travel by road which will take nine hours (!).

Straight line is 600 km, so 100 km/hour, and that's not taking into account the need to sail East to get round places like East Anglia! I think the shipowner was exaggerating just ever so slightly.... but the Advertising Standards Authority had yet to be set up......
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 June 21 20:11 BST (UK) »
When I was reseaching Aberdeen in Scotland I came across a ship owner whose advert stated his ship could reach London in southern England in six hours, compared to today's modern travel by road which will take nine hours (!).

Straight line is 600 km, so 100 km/hour, and that's not taking into account the need to sail East to get round places like East Anglia! I think the shipowner was exaggerating just ever so slightly.... but the Advertising Standards Authority had yet to be set up......

I never thought of mileage.  I was brought up near the eastern coast of England and whilst there were extremely brisk winds in winter, he'd have had to be lucky with wind directions  e.g. north westerly down the North Sea and then a quick change to Easterly wind along the Thames to London.  ;)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 June 21 15:21 BST (UK) »
I am finding several "potential" members of my Bottomley family from England.  Mainly weavers and laborers from the following areas listed below.  However, a few show a death or just potential parents who lived in Lancashire, United Kingdom.  I would think they didn't travel very far in the 1600's - 1800's.  Should I rule candidates out if they are too far away?

You also need to take into account that records for your ancestors may not have survived or, for early ones, may not have existed.
As someone had said, Lancaster was the county town. It's on the main road to Scotland and on the canal network. There was international trade from the port. The small town of Garstang, some miles south of Lancaster had several coaching-inns because of the number of stage-coaches which passed through the town.
Once you get to 1800s and railways, long-distance travel became much easier.
Cowban

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 June 21 19:27 BST (UK) »
Have you found the origins and the meaning of the surname "Bottomley"?

When surnames were handed out after William the conqueror came to England in 1066, he sent his trusted men around the country in the year 1068 to list all the places and people that he now owned.  Everyone had to have a surname and many chose the name of the place they lived in such as "Bottomley", others chose the trade that they were skilled in such as "Smith", "Pollard", etc.    Often relatives or close friends of the King would be given land and their surname became the same as the place they were given, so if you come across a centuries old  "Mr Bottomley" you'll realise the prefix "Mister" meant he had land and a high position to uphold.

Thereare several mentions of "Bottomley" on this webpage:

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~todmordenandwalsden/Walsdenvalleyin1840.htm

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 June 21 03:06 BST (UK) »
Dunkinfield is now in Greater Manchester.
Lancaster, the County Town of Lancashire is 63 miles - 2 or 3 days walk?
Saddleworth is just 8 or 9 miles. A border town between Lancashire and Yorkshire.
Elland is about 25 miles. Between Huddersfield and Halifax.
Huddersfield also about 25 miles.

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/distance_finder.php

I wonder by the list of places in the given list, being fairly near either side of the pennines within 25 miles? if the wording Lancashire and Lancaster are getting mixed up as county or city/town as mentioned above as the odd one out!! at 63 miles

Dunkinfield, Chester County
Saddleworth
Elland
Huddersfield
Lancanster (Lancashire ?)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
These places are not that far apart. Some of my family travelled around for work. Lancashire, Cheshire and Staffordshire.

If you give the details of one of your Bottomley family, we could look and see if we agree with your conclusions. I have access to some Dukinfield and Saddleworth  records.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
If you give the details of one of your Bottomley family, we could look and see if we agree with your conclusions. I have access to some Dukinfield and Saddleworth  records.

This post  :)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=850192.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk