Author Topic: Wales Census entries for 'Where Born'.  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Mendomaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wales Census entries for 'Where Born'.
« on: Thursday 24 June 21 20:29 BST (UK) »
From what I have seen in the 1841 and later Wales censuses the people would report the parish where they were born in Wales. Is it possible that a person born and baptized in one Parish whose baptism was recorded in a different parish would give the latter parish as where they were born? 
Hughes, Lloyd, Edwards, Morgan (Denbighshire & Flintshire)
Evans, Jones, Roberts (Montgomeryshire)
Davies, Alban, Jenkins, Morgan (Cardiganshire)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Wales Census entries for 'Where Born'.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 June 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Place of birth often varies from census to census, especially if people moved around quite a bit when young. They may give the first place where they can remember living.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 June 21 21:33 BST (UK) »
As far as the 1841 Census is concerned, the entries births are only given as, whether or not they were born or not in the County they live in.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mendomaid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 June 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Groom.
I'm looking for my 2nd great grandfather's parents and 4 brothers. He was Robert R. Hughes b. 9 Nov 1818 at Berth, Denbighshire according to his obit. I think that he was born in Henllan Parish. He gives Abergele in the 1851 and 1861 Censuses. I have 2 bits of evidence that he was in Abergele when young. The Tithe Maps show a Robert Hughes occupying a small pasture in Abergele and that is not far from a one block Berth street in Abergele. His future wife was living in Abergele Parish in 1841 and they were married after the census was taken in that year. But there is a Berth Farmhouse in Henllan Parish also.

I suppose that Methodist records could also have the same problem when a Parish of a parent is entered. There is a Hugh Hughes of Abergele Parish who m. a Mary Hughes (spinster) of this Parish who married in Henllan in 1817. Then a Hugh Hughes of St. George Parish and a Mary Hughes of Abergele Parish had a son, Edward. I think these are the same couple.

Thank you wrjones, I'm looking at the 1851 and later censuses for birth places.
Hughes, Lloyd, Edwards, Morgan (Denbighshire & Flintshire)
Evans, Jones, Roberts (Montgomeryshire)
Davies, Alban, Jenkins, Morgan (Cardiganshire)