Author Topic: Victorian Captain - upon leaving the army  (Read 1137 times)

Offline sophiamarina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victorian Captain - upon leaving the army
« on: Friday 25 June 21 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm researching a man whose later life seems to be a far cry from his upbringing (and I'm certain I've not mixed up two different people!). He was enlisted as an ensign in 1856, by purchase (which makes sense - he was from a well-to-do family and his father was a Colonel). He then rose through the ranks to lieutenant and captain - not by purchase, so presumably promoted through his own efforts. He was still a Captain in 1871. Then, I next find him living in London's Docklands, married to a woman of modest origins, and for the rest of his life he worked in jobs like (assistant) storekeeper and timekeeper. In the 1911 census he gives his occupation as an Old Age Pensioner. He died in 1912.

What surprises me (not that I know anything about this area!) is that his father shows up in an earlier census as "retired Colonel on full pay", which seemed to suggest that high-ranking officers would be able to retire on good pensions. I've read up a little on the history of army pensions, but it's hard to sift through the information and apply it to the people I'm researching. Would a Captain leaving the army in the 1870s normally have been entitled to a pension? Would it depend on his record of service, reason for leaving etc?  Is his post-Army life unusual or not, in this period of history? I'm hoping to go to the National Archives to find out more, once I know what I'm looking for!

(I suppose there might be other factors too - for example, he was the eldest son of a wealthy family, yet no sign of a good inheritance judging by his later life - there are some family documents relating to property transfers during his time in the Army that I need to get to grips with. Also, perhaps oddly, I don't have any details on his father's death, so maybe there's a story there)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Captain - upon leaving the army
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 June 21 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

Can you give us his name and regiment(s) ?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 June 21 16:29 BST (UK) »
One would have expected his father to have left a Will, as he would appear to have been a person of means. If there was a Will, have you obtained a copy to see if it provides any clues about the son?
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline sophiamarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 June 21 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat.

Can you give us his name and regiment(s) ?

Thank you! It's Gilbert Sidney Jackson, 86th Regiment of Foot. The Army List in the below link shows his career history (the document seems to date from 1870).

https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/104515826

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 June 21 19:55 BST (UK) »
We might surmise that there was some ignominy or malfeasance which ended his military career and caused him to be disinherited - but that is just guessing. It'll be hard to help without more information.

You've probably seen the TNA guide to researching British Army Officers: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-officers-1913/

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 June 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
When parents bought an army rank for their son, the son was then supposed to mingle in the "right circles" and marry an heiress. Her wealth would then be transferred to the army captain.   This captain obviously didn't manage to marry a rich heiress.

In previous generations,.  the landed gentry would sub divide their estates between their sons.  As the estates grew smaller only the oldest son inherited the estate with the younger sons being bought positions of standing in society, such as military ranks or they went into the church with the hopes that the latter would marry wealthy women.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline sophiamarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 June 21 22:20 BST (UK) »
One would have expected his father to have left a Will, as he would appear to have been a person of means. If there was a Will, have you obtained a copy to see if it provides any clues about the son?

Oddly, I cannot find a will for either his father or his mother.  I think I have now found a reference for his father's death registration (seems to be 1872), so I'm going to order that certificate to see if it gives any clues.  His mother lives for a further 20 years but the censuses show her living at other people's houses, which seems to suggest that she wasn't left with her own property. 

I have found a document dating from 1864 which is a "Deed By Married Women", in which his mother - Georgina Sophia Jackson - seems to be agreeing to the transfer of money from one life insurer to another.  Her husband, children and another person who I don't yet recognise are all named on it - she is referred to as "the first part", her husband Henry Jackson is "the second part", the children are "the third part" and this other person is "the fourth part".  I'm not yet sure what these "parts" mean, but will keep digging.  I do know that a Deed By Married Women was put in place when a husband wanted to sell assets that his wife brought into the marriage, to certify that the wife herself was in agreement with this.

Offline sophiamarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 June 21 22:24 BST (UK) »
We might surmise that there was some ignominy or malfeasance which ended his military career and caused him to be disinherited - but that is just guessing. It'll be hard to help without more information.

You've probably seen the TNA guide to researching British Army Officers: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-officers-1913/

Thank you very much for this link - I hadn't stumbled across it before.  How I would have loved to find Gilbert in the online Officer's Service Records, but alas no trace - nor of his father Henry.  It looks like I might have to visit - luckily I'm not a million miles away from Kew. Would I be right to assume that if I couldn't find the names I'm looking for in WO25 and WO 76 online, that I needn't bother looking in the offline version of those particular collections?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile