Author Topic: Windows 11 has been announced  (Read 3738 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 11 has been announced
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:52 BST (UK) »
That's all very well for someone who knows what they're doing, but a lot of readers here wouldn't know how to set up another partition.

Moreover, we don't all have unlimited space available, so from that point of view it's hard to justify keeping a computer that can't use the internet safely (particularly if it's a bulky desktop one), simply in order to use a set of CDs containing data that's available online anyway.

Don’t think these upgrades are designed for the older generation’s benefit Arthur.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 June 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Don’t think these upgrades are designed for the older generation’s benefit Arthur.

Indeed, though I'm not sure I'm quite ready to be "the older generation" - there are some here who are a quite a bit older than me ;)

But whatever your age, this shift to cloud-based computing depends on the speed and quality of your broadband connection. I have no problem with the principle of backing up files in the cloud, but whenever I try to do it, there's no bandwidth left for anyone to do anything else useful with the internet. So I have to pick my moment, and it's a long slow process.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 June 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry Arthur, I didn’t mean you personally. I include myself in that category even though my professional life was in IT many years ago now.

I meant we generally have different needs from a pc, Many of us are not into high graphic games and working from home professionally. I mostly use my pc for internet, email, scanning, occasional photo editing, word, excel and family history.  My iPad I use for FaceTime, the odd game and watching films/tv etc.,   I can’t see how win11 is going to enhance my user experience. I customised win10 to my liking, I don’t want to have to start all over again.

I’m not against cloud storage but I also believe we should have a choice and not have our external hard drives automatically encrypted without our knowledge. I am experienced enough to sort it out but I know many others do not without professional help.
I could go on…  ;D

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 June 21 19:08 BST (UK) »
No need to apologise - I am after all old enough to be a grandad, and even if I wasn't I'm usually up for a bit of banter.

In fact my PC/iPad usage is very similar to yours; and so far I've managed to hold out against getting a smartphone, but that might not last for ever.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
Just because Microsoft have ended support for their earlier operating systems doesn't mean the computers running them have to be discarded.

Although my main desktop is running Win 10 I still have Win 7 on its other partition, again for the programs that need that version.
Windows 7 support only finished in January last year, eight years after the release of its successor. Microsoft have decided that three years must suffice in future. The number of exploit attempts targetting Win7 in February 2020 was much greater than in the whole of the previous year. Your Win7 installation survives because you are careful what you use it for. Think off the millions who still use it for browsing the net, with hundreds of known, but unpatched, vulnerabilties. That will be you and your Win10 only four years from now. Support for Win10 version 1909 has already been stopped (less than 3 years!).

Andrew - do you have any sources for the changes that you mention? I've looked at the page about Windows 11 on the MS site, and the video there, but didn't see anything about the need for a MS account, or it being cloud-based, or that drives will be encrypted.

So is this just speculation, or have MS actually said they intend to do all this?

The leaked version shown in many online analyses is the "Pro" version and still has an "offline" account possible, but hidden behind several nags. The "Home" version has many more restrictions. The cut-down Win10 offered to third-world markets does not allow offline accounts; Microsoft sees that as a Good Thing.

Encryption is being pushed, naturally, as a security feature - "Secure by design". It was enabled by default on the installations I've seen; it was not clear whether the encrytion could be stopped and reversed.

64-bit processor (Intel "I7" or the AMD equivalent), Secure Boot and TPM 2.0 are official requirements. Processors designed since 2018 are almost certain to incorporate TPM 2.0 features on the chip, even if there is a TPM 1.2 chip fitted on the board.

"Powered by the cloud" is a quote from Microsoft. In the industry it is directly equivalent to "give us all your data". Microsoft look enviously at Google and Apple, who enforce environments where all user information is passed to them without exception. "Knowledge is Power".

There are ways of doing a CLEAN installation of the leaked Win11 onto older hardware by overwriting some files in the install image with the older versions from Win10. It is not clear whether this will be possible with the released version, and this would certainly not be possible for an upgrade-in-situ, of which there will be two every year.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 June 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Andrew,

I understand & agree with your comments.

Just for general info, despite having been in mechanical engineering rather than the computer industry I have been part of the Windows insider programme since the first test issue of Win 7 when it was just the front page without any other content - through Win 8 during its pre-release testing to the preview versions of Win 10 since 2014 up to the present.

Michael.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 June 21 09:26 BST (UK) »
So is this just speculation, or have MS actually said they intend to do all this?

The leaked version shown in many online analyses.....

How much can a leaked version be trusted as a source? Is it the latest version that's heading towards release, or one that's already been superseded? And do Microsoft deliberately "leak" things so as to gauge the reaction, and then tweak their products accordingly? (Not that I've noticed them take much notice of public opinion.)

Moving on, I don't know if I'm being thick, but aren't there some contradictions in the following?
Encryption is being pushed, naturally, as a security feature - "Secure by design"....
<snip>
"Powered by the cloud" is a quote from Microsoft. In the industry it is directly equivalent to "give us all your data". Microsoft look enviously at Google and Apple, who enforce environments where all user information is passed to them without exception. "Knowledge is Power".

If everything is encrypted, what use would it be to Microsoft (or anyone else for that matter) if you put it in the cloud? Or are you saying that web-based storage and/or apps are essentially insecure and anything you do with them can be seen by whoever is hosting them?

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:17 BST (UK) »
Given that most current PC's are not likely to be able to run Windows 11, time to think about the future!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:51 BST (UK) »
Given that most current PC's are not likely to be able to run Windows 11, time to think about the future!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Think you're a little late with that link. I put it up on the other thread last week:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=850281.0

And replacement PCs were discussed with tongue in cheek.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***