Author Topic: Matt Hancock Has Resigned  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Hancock Has Resigned
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 27 June 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
The resignation letter contained a couple of short admissions about breaching the guidelines followed by a lot of hot air about the wonderful NHS he has created with Boris. It would be easy to read it, quickly forget the two early references to breaching guidelines and view it as a speech talking of great personal sacrifice culminating in achievements no other could have hoped to emulate.

He stood and gave daily briefings telling the population what they should do, he wriggled and squirmed through countless interviews and throughout most of it was doing the exact opposite to what he was asking. The resignation letter doesn't admit to it but it does have "NHS" appear five times. 

The media are going to lap up every morsel of the affair for days to come, the Tory party will do little to stop them as he's resigned and it's a good cover story to divert attention from whatever bad news is about to break about their day to day business.

I've been through the pain of a marriage breakup thanks to a cheating spouse and I've worked with several 'great people' who urged their colleagues to do the right thing whilst they did the opposite. I have little respect for anyone who does either of those, not that I have much for hundreds of those in Westminster anyway as many are cut from the same cloth. They will still come out of any scandal with friends in high places and rewarded with lucrative offers mere mortals can only dream of.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 June 21 16:17 BST (UK) »

He stood and gave daily briefings telling the population what they should do, he wriggled and squirmed through countless interviews and throughout most of it was doing the exact opposite to what he was asking. The resignation letter doesn't admit to it but it does have "NHS" appear five times.

From what I understand the published video was recorded on 6 May 2021 - so only about 7 weeks ago, rather than the approx 15 months the pandemic and press briefings have been going on for.

Unless you have any earlier evidence, or know of any admission of wrongful behaviour prior to 6 May 2021, then "throughout most of it" would appear to be potentially defamatory.

Why can't we stick to facts? There's plenty of factual information about this pandemic and the government's handling of it to discuss, without the need to introduce unsubstantiated and potentially defamatory claims.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 June 21 16:21 BST (UK) »
"except when it comes to married heterosexual men"

It's almost like a .... what do they call it?  Oh, I know, a double standard.  It's funny when the shoe is on the other foot.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 June 21 16:27 BST (UK) »
When I saw the photo, the phrase "Hands, face and space" came to mind.

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 June 21 19:34 BST (UK) »

From what I understand the published video was recorded on 6 May 2021 - so only about 7 weeks ago, rather than the approx 15 months the pandemic and press briefings have been going on for.

Unless you have any earlier evidence, or know of any admission of wrongful behaviour prior to 6 May 2021, then "throughout most of it" would appear to be potentially defamatory.

Why can't we stick to facts? There's plenty of factual information about this pandemic and the government's handling of it to discuss, without the need to introduce unsubstantiated and potentially defamatory claims.

I do apologise.

In view of recent events I'm sure that as I have issued an apology that both you and Mr Hancock will consider the matter closed and the relevant Police authorities will see no need to investigate further.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:17 BST (UK) »
"except when it comes to married heterosexual men"

It's almost like a .... what do they call it?  Oh, I know, a double standard.  It's funny when the shoe is on the other foot.

Erato, this is purely by way of a joke,
If you wear your shoes on the wrong feet,you will go round the wrong corners!
Honestly, my sister ,(  she who must be obeyed! ) used to say that . ;D
Viktoria.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:30 BST (UK) »
Changing the subject slightly.

The UK Doctor featured on one UK News disagreed with the reference made yesterday to being near or close to the end of this [pandemic].

The Doctor went on to say that whilst Covid is continuing to mutate somewhere in the world, this medical crisis is far from over.

Mutant Covid-19 does not need a Passport or a Boarding Pass, the latest mutation can get here in hours, or even mutate here.

Regardless of what is being said, I'll only go out to places operating safety procedures well and also continue with mask, hands and space.
 ----------
My Grandmother had Rheumatic Fever as a girl and the illness damaged a heart valve.

I was down with influenza as a boy and been bed bound at the top of our house (3 storeys) for a few days, so to cheer me up she purchased me a jig saw of a football player, came upstairs and sat by my bedside long enough.

My Grandmother caught it, the Doctor arrived and said it was a big mistake, she should have remained in her part of the house. I survived, but it was serious enough to kill her, at the age of 59.

Shame, my late Grandparents took precautions at risky times, but my Grandmother let her guard down just once and died.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 June 21 21:45 BST (UK) »
Usual story, don't do as we do! Do as we tell you! But, and this is the serious question I think, do we expect too high a standard from those who govern at any and every level?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 June 21 23:17 BST (UK) »
I seem to recall Nicola Sturgeon broke the rules, as did one of her MSPs- a lady who travelled by train knowing she had tested positive, I think. I believe it was the Mayor of Coventry ? who also broke some rules. And let's not forget the man with the dubious eyesight who is now busy criticising every action of the government, conveniently forgetting he was Boris' main adviser during most of that time.

Let's be honest, in this country you can punch someone ( John Prescott) or fiddle the expenses ( too many to mention ) but a little bit of sleaze will get you sacked every time.

I personally don't think Hancock has done a particularly good job but that is what he should be judged on, not his private life.

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area