Author Topic: Matt Hancock Has Resigned  (Read 6226 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Hancock Has Resigned
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 June 21 07:35 BST (UK) »
I seem to recall Nicola Sturgeon broke the rules, as did one of her MSPs- a lady who travelled by train knowing she had tested positive, I think.
I personally don't think Hancock has done a particularly good job but that is what he should be judged on, not his private life.

The Scottish Police charged her with culpable and reckless conduct
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55924053
travelling whilst Covid positive
 ----------
Private life? ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57631547

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 June 21 07:52 BST (UK) »
Usual story, don't do as we do! Do as we tell you! But, and this is the serious question I think, do we expect too high a standard from those who govern at any and every level?

It is expected that they follow the Ministerial Code.

Let's be honest, in this country you can punch someone ( John Prescott) or fiddle the expenses ( too many to mention ) but a little bit of sleaze will get you sacked every time.

I personally don't think Hancock has done a particularly good job but that is what he should be judged on, not his private life.

I think there have been several occasions where his professional  capabilities have been ‘judged’ or speculated on: cronyism; care homes; high incidence of deaths, the PM’s alleged opinion of him etc but often the matter is closed or denied.
This incident, with the evidence, is perhaps the only way to remove him by those who would wish to do that.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 June 21 08:21 BST (UK) »
This incident, with the evidence, is perhaps the only way to remove him by those who would wish to do that.

The question then is who was it that wished to do that?

Some unknown entity manipulating who gets to run the country would be far more concerning in my opinion than all the froth the media have been getting excited about in Hancock's downfall.

As much as we need open and transparent Government, we also need open and transparent opposition (with a small 'o').

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 June 21 09:16 BST (UK) »
The big part of this news is not the affair, or kiss, that is between the families concerned. The important public issue is who installed the security camera, was it a member of the Labour Party a discontented Conservative or a civil servant.
That is what needs to be investigated and the perpetrator brought to justice.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 June 21 09:21 BST (UK) »
When Kier Starmer became leader of The Labour Party ,he said he would not use the position for political back biting etc,
He would support Boris so we got on top of the pandemic ASAP.
I thought how refreshing!
Since when he has been very scathing and self seeking in the broader sense
of his party .
I was naive !
Viktoria.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 June 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
Victoria,
At the moment, this is not concerning Kier Starmer or the Labour Party.
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:01 BST (UK) »
The big part of this news is not the affair, or kiss, that is between the families concerned. The important public issue is who installed the security camera, was it a member of the Labour Party a discontented Conservative or a civil servant.
That is what needs to be investigated and the perpetrator brought to justice.
Cheers
Guy

I still feel that a certain DC could be playing out his revenge in this matter.  He may not have placed the camera, but it's his kind of way of getting his own back. Wasn't he the one who said Hancock should have been sacked umpteen times before? 

Sorry, Boris, but the matter is far from closed.  How many other hidden cameras are there in Westminster, I wonder?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:09 BST (UK) »
As a taxpayer and currently a part owner of the House of Commons, I expect the people I employ to concentrate on the business in hand in the place of work.   I do not expect to pay people to cavort in a place of business.   The man hasn't been a success in any job that he's been given and I'm pleased he's been relieved of his latest appointment.

To those people who now want to ignore current Health advice given by this man because he ignored it - I'd just say;   If he jumped in the fire, would you?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:27 BST (UK) »
As a taxpayer and currently a part owner of the House of Commons, I expect the people I employ to concentrate on the business in hand in the place of work.

Out of interest, what standards of behaviour would you expect from the millions of people who have been working at home during the pandemic?

If their partner comes home/goes out would you object to them exchanging a kiss or hug?

If their child needs attention would you expect them to ignore it?

The reality is the world has moved on from the attitudes of the 1950's and 60's and boundaries between work and the rest of people's lives have become blurred.  If people are expected to do 'work' stuff in their 'home' time then it is quite reasonable for people to not see wrong in doing 'home' stuff when at 'work'.

There does however need to be concern about relationships within the workplace, but from what has been published so far there is nothing to suggest impropriety in this specific incident.

P.s. Taxpayers neither own the House of Commons, nor employ Ministers or Civil Servants.