Author Topic: Matt Hancock Has Resigned  (Read 6234 times)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Hancock Has Resigned
« Reply #36 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
"What interests the public is very rarely in the public interest!" 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 28 June 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
"What interests the public is very rarely in the public interest!" 

Regards 

Chas

That’s ‘us and them’  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 28 June 21 11:08 BST (UK) »
No matter the rights and wrongs of Mr Hancock’s departure I wonder if the new incumbent will address the real problem facing us , that is of restoring the NHS to something like it used to be.

What happened to the nightingale units, we used to have isolation hospitals for TB, why not for covid.

We used to be able to see a doctor, now you dial 111 for a recorded message saying they are too busy to take any more calls, try using the computer to self diagnose,

Mike

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 28 June 21 11:26 BST (UK) »
Victoria,
At the moment, this is not concerning Kier Starmer or the Labour Party.
Heywood

The Labour Party was mentioned in a post  by Guy at 9-16 today prior to my post at 9-21.
His post was relevant and so was mine.

So?
Viktoria.

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 28 June 21 11:32 BST (UK) »

What happened to the nightingale units, we used to have isolation hospitals for TB, why not for covid.

Most of them have been decommissioned.  We were extremely fortunate that Covid turned out not to be an influenza-like disease that the planning had envisaged, so they weren't needed.

The problem for the NHS now isn't dealing with Covid patients (so isolation hospitals are unnecessary) but that any person presenting themselves for treatment at a healthcare facility could have a case of asymptomatic Covid, and during their attendance at the facility could pass the infection on.

Therefore the necessity is for people seeking treatment to be tested (and isolated) prior to attendance - and/or implementation of measures to mitigate the risks within the facility (e.g. thorough cleansing between seeing each patient, or reduced numbers of patients per ward).

The latter unfortunately constrains the number of patients who can be seen/treated because of the extra time and/or space needed for each person.

This is the same reason why GPs are having to ration face-to-face care and reserve appointments for those most in need. (and, frankly, a lot of pre-Covid GP appointments were for things [e.g. contraceptive prescription renewals] that never needed to be done at a face-to-face appointment)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 28 June 21 11:48 BST (UK) »
As a taxpayer and currently a part owner of the House of Commons, I expect the people I employ to concentrate on the business in hand in the place of work.

Out of interest, what standards of behaviour would you expect from the millions of people who have been working at home during the pandemic?

If their partner comes home/goes out would you object to them exchanging a kiss or hug?

If their child needs attention would you expect them to ignore it?

The reality is the world has moved on from the attitudes of the 1950's and 60's and boundaries between work and the rest of people's lives have become blurred.  If people are expected to do 'work' stuff in their 'home' time then it is quite reasonable for people to not see wrong in doing 'home' stuff when at 'work'.

There does however need to be concern about relationships within the workplace, but from what has been published so far there is nothing to suggest impropriety in this specific incident.

P.s. Taxpayers neither own the House of Commons, nor employ Ministers or Civil Servants.

Ref "working from home" : 
Does the mortgage stipulate that your domestic premises can be used as an office?   Usually a business morgage is more expensive. (I've been there, done that).
If you're using your home as an office then you should expect to pay business rates on your telephone and other utilities.   Additionally what portion of the utilities has the company you work for stated they will pay?

MPs and civil servants work for the people, thus they are employees of the people.   In days of yore neither MPs nor town councillors were paid for the hours they worked, nor for their expenses. 

Practically every decade they dip their hands even further into our pockets.  One example being the £10K per annum each MP receives from the public purse to pay for their own IT page.  Previous to this MPs had a free write up in their daily newspaper extolling their virtues and the opposition's failures.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 28 June 21 12:04 BST (UK) »
Does the mortgage stipulate that your domestic premises can be used as an office?   Usually a business morgage is more expensive. (I've been there, done that).
If you're using your home as an office then you should expect to pay business rates on your telephone and other utilities.   Additionally what portion of the utilities has the company you work for stated they will pay?

How does that work if you are working from home but as an employee - you aren't actually running a business? According to articles I've read as long as you’re not altering your property considerably, such as adding an extra room to use for your business, your lender should agree to you continuing with your residential mortgage.

It is worth informing your insurance company though if you have expensive office equipment, although presumably if your employer has said you need it to work from home, they should have insured it.

I wonder if burglaries have gone down over the last year with fewer homes left unoccupied during the day?

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 28 June 21 12:28 BST (UK) »

Fortunately the vast majority of banks, building societies, and utility companies have more common sense than to attempt to charge people differently if they use some of the service provided to them domestically for the benefit of their employment.

No organisation I've been employed by has ever offered to pay part of my utilities bills, although in the early days some of my older colleagues got a 'telephone allowance' if they were on an on-call rota. That was phased out as they retired.

It is all part of the quid pro quo of flexible working. I never minded using some of the electricity I pay for at home to charge my work mobile - and in return wouldn't have expected to be disciplined or sacked if I plugged my personal phone in to charge at work.

MPs and civil servants work for the people, thus they are employees of the people.

No, they really aren't.  As a long-time local government manager it was really tiresome dealing with entitled people demanding a member of my team should do what they were told (by the entitled person) because "I pay your wages" or "You work for me". The lack of respect shown by people demanding this or that was quite remarkable.  :(

In days of yore neither MPs nor town councillors were paid for the hours they worked, nor for their expenses.

1911 was when MPs started to be paid. Up to that point it was assumed MPs would be self-funding, and therefore the role was effectively self-limiting to wealthy men who could afford to do so.

I think the majority of the population would agree the modern approach is superior and not wish to go back to those days.

The role of local government councillors has also changed. Historically they would only attend occasional meetings and have limited (usually postal) correspondence with their constituents.  Now many councillors are in executive roles within the council structure, and phone and internet communication has enabled all constituents to have virtually 24/7 direct contact with their councillor. It isn't the same 'job' as it was in days of yore.

Practically every decade they dip their hands even further into our pockets.  One example being the £10K per annum each MP receives from the public purse to pay for their own IT page.  Previous to this MPs had a free write up in their daily newspaper extolling their virtues and the opposition's failures.

The pay and expenses of MPs are determined by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA), not by the MPs themselves. Members of the public are entitled to make representations to IPSA if they disagree with any specific aspect of the scheme, or to the idea of MPs being paid at all.  More info here...
https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/members/pay-mps/

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 June 21 12:39 BST (UK) »
How does that work if you are working from home but as an employee - you aren't actually running a business? According to articles I've read as long as you’re not altering your property considerably, such as adding an extra room to use for your business, your lender should agree to you continuing with your residential mortgage.

This is correct.  Companies (in particular insurers) separate out work for an employer from working for yourself.

As it happens, I recently had to change my car insurance from Social and Domestic (only) to Social, Domestic, Commuting and employer's business [because I was doing a job involving going between sites] - the change actually resulted in a partial refund of my premium, not the increase I was expecting (from historic experience).  The CS rep said this reflected changed attitudes towards the way people work now.