Author Topic: Matt Hancock Has Resigned  (Read 6229 times)

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Hancock Has Resigned
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 08:27 BST (UK) »
............ and above we have an example of a person needing to control the conversation by subtle introductions into the original topic.

............ and above we have an example of a person needing - when finding themselves unable to kick the ball - to kick the player instead.

I've been clear - some might say 'forthright' - in making my point throughout the thread.  To be accused of "subtle introductions" now is amusing.  :)

But again, politicians are entitled to a private life, and judging them on the basis of rumour and gossip about their private life choices is wrong. Hancock's failure wasn't in his relationships, it was in breaching the guidelines his own department issued.

If we want politicians who are representatives of 'us', then we need them to be like 'us'. And that means having politicians with faults..... because none of 'us' are perfect. As I pointed out in my preceding post (the one you have objected to), it is rare to find anyone (politicians included) who haven't broken some of the 'rules'.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
I really don't think the issue here is whether or not he is having an affair, that is his business, although the people I feel sorry for are his wife and children and her husband and children. What is wrong is that he was the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and was the person telling the whole country to obey the rules of social distancing etc whilst he was obviously breaking them. If he breaks them why can't everyone else. A case of do as I say, not what I do. I feel we have a right to expect those that make the rules to keep them and if they can't then they need to step down from that job.

Wholeheartedly agree with you Groom and I think some of the participants here need to grow up and become part of the real world.

Of course politicians aren't perfect, just like the rest of us thank goodness - I would certainly not want to be governed by a bunch who never did anything wrong and expected the rest of us to behave in the same way.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:02 BST (UK) »
Of course politicians aren't perfect, just like the rest of us thank goodness - I would certainly not want to be governed by a bunch who never did anything wrong and expected the rest of us to behave in the same way.

+1

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:05 BST (UK) »
Nicola Sturgeon kept her own name, she is not Mrs Murrell, she follows what was standard practice in Scotland of not changing her name on marriage. None of my female teachers changed their names. It was an English fashion which I'm glad to say is no longer very fashionable nooadays with the young.
 I have a buddy who moved from Glasgow out to Lanarkshire when he married a native. After about 30 years he is still "Mary Brown's Man" to all and sundry, he maintains he lost his identity  ;D
 No amount of waffle however disguises the fact that this government is a disgrace.

Skoosh.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:11 BST (UK) »
“But again, politicians are entitled to a private life, and judging them on the basis of rumour and gossip about their private life choices is wrong. Hancock's failure wasn't in his relationships, it was in breaching the guidelines his own department issued.”

Mr Hancock breached the guidelines through his close contact with and an admitted relationship with a friend who had been appointed by him to a position within his department.
That is not rumour and gossip.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:28 BST (UK) »

Mr Hancock breached the guidelines through his close contact with and an admitted relationship with a friend who had been appointed by him to a position within his department.
That is not rumour and gossip.

Not sure that anyone has suggested it is rumour or gossip. 

Sorry just not on the same wavelength as those who believe his private life is a worse scenario than breaching covid guidelines.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:30 BST (UK) »
Nicola Sturgeon kept her own name, she is not Mrs Murrell, she follows what was standard practice in Scotland of not changing her name on marriage. None of my female teachers changed their names. It was an English fashion which I'm glad to say is no longer very fashionable nooadays with the young.
 I have a buddy who moved from Glasgow out to Lanarkshire when he married a native. After about 30 years he is still "Mary Brown's Man" to all and sundry, he maintains he lost his identity  ;D
 No amount of waffle however disguises the fact that this government is a disgrace.

Nicola Sturgeon's government has its faults, Skoosh, but I'm surprised you go as far as to call it a "disgrace".  ;)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:35 BST (UK) »
Chumocracy is a relatively new term, but in my recent readings of its use in the media, it is not a complimentary label. 

Once upon a time, in Australia, politicians who appointed chums to statutory bodies without declaring private relationships 'got away with it' ... nowadays several of our eight jurisdictions have Independent Commissions against Corruption  .... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
............ and above we have an example of a person needing to control the conversation by subtle introductions into the original topic.

............ and above we have an example of a person needing - when finding themselves unable to kick the ball - to kick the player instead.

I've been clear - some might say 'forthright' - in making my point throughout the thread.  To be accused of "subtle introductions" now is amusing.  :)

But again, politicians are entitled to a private life, and judging them on the basis of rumour and gossip about their private life choices is wrong. Hancock's failure wasn't in his relationships, it was in breaching the guidelines his own department issued.

If we want politicians who are representatives of 'us', then we need them to be like 'us'. And that means having politicians with faults..... because none of 'us' are perfect. As I pointed out in my preceding post (the one you have objected to), it is rare to find anyone (politicians included) who haven't broken some of the 'rules'.

Mention of judging on basis of  rumour and gossip
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.