Author Topic: Andrews family - Queensland (restore and date help please)  (Read 626 times)

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrews family - Queensland (restore and date help please)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 June 21 15:55 BST (UK) »
one from me
Cliff
South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 June 21 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much everybody. :) I am always surprised that you will attempt the most challenging  and seemingly impossible restores. Thanks for taking the time to help. I admire your skills, and generosity.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 June 21 02:07 BST (UK) »
I was interested to Google the photographer Christopher Roggenkamp who was photographer to the Governor of Queensland. To spend money on a Carte de Visite by a renowned photographer and being well dressed implies the family had some financial security. Also I was struck by the short hair on the man, unusual for that time?
shume   australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 June 21 03:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Shume. I think this is from early in his career and before Roggenkamp became "renowned". I have a couple of early Roggenkamp photos in the ancient family album.
I can assure you that this family was not wealthy. John (the son of a convict) was a labourer, and Sarah (who was sister to my g-grandfather) came from a family of farm labourers.
The photo is not clear enough to really know what is going on with his hair style, but it looks like he is balding. He seems to have a strange goatee beard under his chin - looks odd. I don't know anything about men's hair fashion at this time. :D
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 June 21 06:56 BST (UK) »
The idea was to grow it under the chin rather than on it. Called a Newgate frill, it apparently took its name from Newgate prison, because it looked like a rope around the neck. Must have been one of the ugliest fashions known to man!
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 June 21 07:08 BST (UK) »
... one of the ugliest fashions known to man!
Agreed.  :D