Author Topic: Pls help with George Wilson, born about 1806 in Clitheroe, looking for parents  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Palomino

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ohhhh, you are all such a great help!!! Thank you very very much.

I am really getting on.  Nancy, Alice's witness, was obviously her sister. Their family is not from Clitheroe, but from Heysham.

The Wilson's family had their christenings in Ribchester.

And their families finally came together in Clitheroe.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help with George Wilson, born about 1806 in Clitheroe, looking for parents
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 June 21 19:09 BST (UK) »

I ve got their kids:
Harriet 1844, Moses 1847, Emma 1850, David 1852

George might have had the following brothers and sisters:
Grace (1802-1809), Mary (1803), Josef (1805), Richard (1807), Grace (1809), Thomas (1811), James (1815), John (1816), Ann (1821), Catherine (1823).
However, they were all born in Ribchester. That might still be correct, or not?

What is your evidence for a connection between George, father of Harriet, Moses & co. and the family who had children baptised at Ribchester?
Who were Harriet, Moses, Emma and David named after? There were 2 sons named David (1829, 1852) so presumably it was an important name for one of the parents. Children were usually named for grandparents, uncles and aunts at that time, unless they had so many surviving children that they ran out of names. Did they not have John or Ann?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pls help with George Wilson, born about 1806 in Clitheroe, looking for parents
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:22 BST (UK) »

I ve found some trees which name as George's parents:
John Wilson (16 nov 1781 in Clitheroe - 1868 in Clitheroe)
Ann/Anne Hyde/Hide (about 1781 in Bailey - 2 jan 1865 in Clithero)

The John Wilson, aged 70, cotton twister, whom heywood found in Clitheroe on 1851 census had "Bailey" as birthplace (transcription on Family Search), which I suggested might be Barley.
His wife Ann was aged 70 on that census and had Dutton for birthplace. Is there information that she was born elsewhere? Their children, Grace, John, Ann and Catherine  who were with them had Dutton for birthplace. Some of those names match children of John Wilson & Ann (Hide) baptised at SS Peter & Paul, Ribchester, although ages aren't accurate. Dutton parish is NE of Ribchester.

There were at least 2 burials at St. Wilfrid, Ribchester, of children of John Wilson of Dutton which match baptisms of children of John & Ann (Hide) at SS Peter & Paul.
1803 Grace
1815 James aged 6 Note Papist.
A John, son of John aged 11, abode Ribchester, was buried 1819. Note: Papist.
(A John & Ann who were "paupers & tinkers" appear in St. Wilfrid, Ribchester baptism register 1818.)
3 children of a Richard Wilson of Dutton were buried at St. Wilfrid, Ribchester, Betty 1797, Grace 1805 and Joseph 1806. Also Joseph 1809, son of Richard junior, abode Ribchester.

Other Wilson burials at St. Wilfrid:
1816 Ellen aged 20, wife of George
1818 Ann 59, wife of James
1825 George son of James
All 3 abode Ribchester and all noted as "Papist".

There seems to have been a connection between the Hyde family and a family Limen/Liming/Leeming, fellow parishioners at SS Peter & Paul. Richard & Ann Limen were godparents of John & Ann Wilson's 2nd James 1816. 4 children of John & Christian Liming had a Hyde godparent. John Wilson was godfather with Grace Hyde to John Liming 1797. (John Leeming married Christian Cavis 1792 Blackburn.)
I'm trying to understand the wider Wilson and Hyde families in Ribchester.

Have you discounted John (67) & Ann (64) Wilson, farmer, Clitheroe on 1851 census as parents of George?

Cowban

Offline Palomino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:44 BST (UK) »
I m sure about George Wilson and Alice Warbrick, their marriage and their children.
(May I post hyperlinks to census here? Anyway. Census 1851, George Wilson(45 yrs), Alice Wilson (39 yrs) Farington St. Paul. Census 1861 Ellen Warbrick, Moses (14 yrs) and David (9 yrs) Wilson, Haslingden Newchurch). I am sure, George and Alice died in 1850s.

George's father was John Wilson.

So far I haven't found any Moses, Emma or David in his family.

To be honest, now you are asking for it, I m not sure about the evidence any longer. May be, I ve seen it in another tree.

I ll check the next few days. Not so easy....

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:48 BST (UK) »
I posted that family to possibly discount them.
Maybe a farmer would be a miller rather than a cotton twister.
Are there marriages for any of the other children to compare father’s occupation?
George is the only one in Clitheroe.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 June 21 20:56 BST (UK) »
I posted what could be Alice’s death.

There is also a Mary b January 1841 d of a George & Alice. In 1841 there is an Alice & Mary (age 6 months which would be right as census taken in June). They are listed as a separate household in the house of Mary Ellen etc Warbrick living in the borough of Whalley in the district of Clitheroe

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 June 21 22:18 BST (UK) »
So far I haven't seen evidence that George was connected to the family of John & Ann Wilson in Ribchester. I think the family headed by John Wilson, cotton twister on 1851 census may have been the family who had children baptised at Ribchester. As they were Catholics there's likely to be missing records, especially going back before late 18th century. If John Wilson and Ann Hide/Hyde were Catholic from birth, as seems likely, their baptisms may not have been recorded.
(Note to Palomino. Catholics were discriminated against for almost 300 years in England and persecuted at times. Priests could be arrested. Some priests moved around and may have had to flee to evade arrest. Possessing registers was risky as they were evidence of law-breaking. Catholic registers are rare before mid-1700s and not common until the next century. There was a continuous Catholic presence in many places in Lancashire such as Ribchester with a high proportion of inhabitants [as high as a third in some districts] adhering to that faith. The priest at Thornley, a few miles from Ribchester, died in prison in 1745.)

Alice's 1st marriage:
17th January 1835 St. Mary Magdalene, Clitheroe
Ralph Cottam
Alice SWARBRICK
Witnesses John Swale, Thomas Heys

Banns were for Alice WARBRICK
(Transcriptions on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks)

Fossicking among Wilson families in Clitheroe and Whalley:
A Moses Wilson, son of William & Jane, baptised St. Mary Magdalene, Clitheroe 1824
A William Wilson was a shoemaker in Whalley and had several children. As George was a shoemaker I wondered if he learned from a relative.

If John Wilson was a miller on his own account there may be records connected to the business, leases, will, insurance. (Miller was one of the many occupations of one of my ancestors, a contemporary of George. His occupation was different on every record of his long life. 2 of his elder brothers had been in business together as corn millers; an advert in a local newspaper gave notice of them ending their partnership. Step-grandad had been a maltster. Eldest brother finished up as bookkeeper for a brewery.) If John Wilson was an employee he may have left no trace.
Cowban

Offline Palomino

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 June 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone,  which William Wilson was the shoemaker in Whalley? Did you find him in a census? Well, I couldn't ...
Thank you

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 June 21 20:07 BST (UK) »
Here you are
1851 2265/14/21
8 Salmon Street Fishwick

William Wilson 67 yrs Cordwainer b Penrith Cumberland
Alice Wilson daughter 28 yrs housekeeper b Whalley
Thomas Wilson son 16 yrs Cordwainer Apprentice b Whalley
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk