Author Topic: Where is the baptism (1784-1789) of Mary Burrows, wife of James Stone, Bungay?  (Read 808 times)

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
  • James Aaron Grigg 1875-1916
    • View Profile
James Stone (1784-1852) was married to Mary. 

The 1812 baptism at Mettingham of their son William gives her maiden name as BURROWS.

There is a marriage at Hadiscoe NFK on 13 April 1812 for James Stone and Mary Burrows both single and “of this parish”.  Witnesses Edward Gilingwater & Edward Shiplea [regular]. It seems a bit out of the way but she would have been 8 months pregnant.

She died and was buried in Bungay in 1868, aged 84 = born 1784.

Mary appears in three censuses in Bungay, in 1841 & 1851 with James, and in 1861 as a widow with her son Robert and his family.

1841   aged 55 born 1782-1786 Suffolk 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M73Q-HC8
1851   aged 62 born 1789 Beddingham, Norfolk
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGRJ-B6H
1861   aged 77 born 1784 Beddingham, Suffolk
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7DL-M16

The 1861 birthplace has been transcribed as Beddingtonham SFK by Ancestry, FamilySearch and FindMyPast. But, to me, it looks like it has been overwritten from Norfolk, Beddingham to Suffolk, Baddingham. I wonder what others think if you can access the image?

So it’s easy , Mary Burrows born 1782-1789 in Be[a]ddingham NFK or SFK.

But no Mary Burrows baptised in Bedingham NFK and no likely contenders.
There are Burrows in Badingham SFK but I cannot find pre-1813 baptisms online. Does a kind soul have the Hoxne Deanary transcriptions 1754-1813?   

Am I missing something obvious?
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
South Bucks- Miller Mitchell Horton
Cornwall- Aunger Baker Grigg Luxton
Hants- Hine/Hind
South Oxon- Applebee Barlow Clark Edginton Elliott Fryzer Simmonds Toby
Suffolk- Chilvers Darby Philpot Russell Stone
Surrey- Edwards Knight Lanaway
Sussex- English Exeter Jeffery Knight Mugridge
Wilts Bishop

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
there's a Bedingham 5 miles NW of Bungay - small village. In Norfolk but wouldn't be far from the border, so easy for people to get confused.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedingham
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thanks Lizzie - I'm sure that's the place of her birth in the 1851 census, and possibly 1861, if it has been amemded.
But I can't find her baptism there.
West Berks- Appleton Bailey Barlow Bartholomew Carter/Cook Childs Corderoy Coxhead Froud Fryzer Griffin Harrison Head Noke Richmond Salter Sawyer Shrimpton Sidwell Stratton Stroud Wernham Wheatland
Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
From Suffolk FHS transcripts of Badingham's registers:

1781 Thomas BURROWS married Elizabeth EDMONDS [both apparently s.o.t.p.]

Baptisms:
1782 Anne daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth BURROWS
1784 John son of Thomas BURROWS and Elizabeth late EDMONDS
1786 Oct. 12 Mary daughter of Thomas BURROWS and Elisabeth late EDMONDS
1788 Sarah daughter of Thomas BURROWS and Elisabeth late EDMONDS

Three or four children of Thomas and Pleasant BURROUGHS were baptized at Badingham a generation earlier: Thomas (4 Jan. 1761), Mary (1 May 1763), Eunice (5 Jan. 1766) and Mary (also 5 Jan. 1766).

Pleasance, née SMYTH, wife of Thomas BURROWS, was buried there in 1791, followed by 72-year-old widower Thomas BURROWS in 1797.

I don't see their children's burials but a widow named Elizabeth BURROWS married John GARDINER of Metfield at Badingham in 1794.

David

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
gobbitt, you are a star! That is very kind of you and I really appreciate it. That certainly puts the cat among the pidgeons.

I don't know this Suffolk/Norfolk area at all. Is Badingham in Bungay's orbit? What do local Rootschatters feel? To my mind it appears to be the equivalent of Newbury to Reading which is feasible and I have ancestors who made that move, but not that many. Marriage horizons/work moves tended to be smaller in my experience.

I would be interested to have second opinons on Mary's birthplace as shown on the censuses. 1841 was born in Suffolk. In 1851, if you told the Bungay enumerator you were born in "Badingham" could it be taken for "Beddingham" and assumed to be the one just across the river? And does the 1861 show an amendment?

I did find a Mary Burroughs baptised at Redenhall with Harleston NFK in May 1781, base born d/o Deborah Burroughs. But date and place don't fit with the censuses.

Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the baptism (1784-1789) of Mary Burrows, wife of James Stone, Bungay?
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:37 BST (UK) »
Glad to have been able to shed some light on Badingham, despite endangering the wildlife. Google shows it to be about 18 miles south of Bungay, which is only a little over 5 miles south-east of Bedingham.

I agree that Mary's place of birth should probably have been recorded as Badingham in 1851 and that it appears to have been amended in 1861 from Norfolk Beddingham to Suffolk Baddingham.

Perhaps her origins can be confirmed by locating her parents and siblings after 1788. A thriving market town like Bungay (and nearby Mettingham) would have attracted many traders and other workers from a wide area, both north and south of the county border.

David

Offline stevemiller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the baptism (1784-1789) of Mary Burrows, wife of James Stone, Bungay?
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 10:18 BST (UK) »
They say find an ancestor, find two more problems!

I've looked at the commercial sites, BNA newspapers, Suffolk Archives but cannot find any obvious trace of these Badingham Burrows, although I've been able to flesh out some dates for the events David supplied.

I've just had the third-degree from the dear "Financial Director" for joining Suffolk FHS, so more of their transcripts will have to wait a while!

Luckily, other new Suffolk lines are falling into place a bit easier.

Hants- Hine/Hind
Wilts Bishop

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 July 21 02:01 BST (UK) »
I agree with David's reading of the 1861 census doc - Mary is recorded as coming from Bad(d)ingham, Suffolk. The 'where born' entry appears to have been given some attention i.e. it wasn't familiar to the enumerator, who appears to have checked the spelling (changed an 'e' to an 'a'), and reflected the pronunciation with a double 'd'.

If Mary was from Bedingham, Norfolk, there wouldn't be a need for amendment/annotation. Locals knew the parish - Bungay is the market town - and, by 1861, its accepted spelling. Because it's just off the well-used Norwich road they would know it's the other side of the river which forms the county boundary, and so in Norfolk rather than Suffolk.

That said, Badingham, Suffolk isn't really in the Bungay/Waveney valley orbit - it's much more Framlingham and even Woodbridge, and the main roads from that area lead south and west. But Mary Burrows married James Stone in Haddiscoe, which is actually 8-10 miles beyond Bungay and Mettingham, and not on an obvious route (you have to go either to Beccles or to Bungay to cross the river). As you say, horizons tend to be more limited. Work may have taken James and Mary from Haddiscoe to Mettingham after they married, but what took Mary to Haddiscoe in the first place? Family connections (particularly if her father died when she was a child, as the Badingham records suggest)? Is there any connection with the Burrows family in Haddiscoe at the time, and as David said, what happened to Mary's siblings? That's at least two more problems!