Author Topic: How Can I Find The Service Number Of Harry Frederick Harris Mason?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How Can I Find The Service Number Of Harry Frederick Harris Mason?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 July 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ross.  :)

If changes have been recently made, this may not work, although it did for me several years ago: I contacted Imjin Barracks in Gloucester to enquire about a WW2 medal entitlement. The reply I received included the service number (which I don't recall asking for).

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 July 21 15:35 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

Not sure of Army or RN at the TNA

but..

For RAF records there has been transfer going on quietly to the TNA since 1998.

First sign was the appearance of the Index cards in AIR78 which covers 1918 to 1975.

The piece description for AIR78 states
"Index to airmen and airwomen's service records held in AIR 79. The microfilmed slips contain name and RAF service number only

This index is not 100% complete. The great majority of the original index slips were microfilmed, however there is a small number of random gaps, where a slip had been lost prior to filming."

Before 2014 AIR79 was for service upto 1920 but excluded those returning for war service but now the date range for the series is 1901 to 1944 and this has been added to piece description.

"The records of those airmen whose service continued into the 1930s and 1940s (where a record of service survives) will be transferred at a later date."

So I think RAF is on way to transfer tranche of service records to TNA, possibly using partner of Find My Past to expedite.

Ross

Sea Losses of RAF Aircraft 1918 to date.

RAF Coastal Command 1939-45.

Between the Wars RAF Officers and Warrant Officers.

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 July 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
Re the Army details application form.  I wonder whether in the update of the form there has simply been a c..k up.  The earlier form had surname and forenames as mandatory and the service number and dob had asterisks with the note that allowed either or.

The 2020 form has Some of the fields in this section are MANDATORY. You must complete all of the mandatory fields. If you are unable to complete all of the mandatory fields, your application cannot proceed.  On the form only one item, the surname, is then marked mandatory which makes nonsense of "some of the fields".  As before the number and dob have asterisks but there is no note below saying what these mean.

Probably only answered definitively by Glasgow.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline rafcommands

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 July 21 16:15 BST (UK) »
Just had a thought - AIR81 has the casualty files of the RAF as an ongoing transfer since 2012/14 ish - wondered if Army and RN had a similar transfer.

ADM 358 - Admiralty: Casualty Branch: Enquiries into Missing Personnel, 1939-1945 War – 253 pieces

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/r/C16485

So yes also for Admiralty (a mix of individuals and ship companies in the date range 1939 to 44).

Again no sign of WO/Army records following the trend.

Ross

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 16:31 BST (UK) »
Re the Army details application form.  I wonder whether in the update of the form there has simply been a c..k up.  The earlier form had surname and forenames as mandatory and the service number and dob had asterisks with the note that allowed either or.
MaxD

The army form has been updated 9 July 2021 to allow, as before, number OR dob which tends to support my theory that there was an error in the previous version. https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

MaxD

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia