Author Topic: Dora Brown - Southwick - help me solve a mystery please!?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dora Brown - Southwick - help me solve a mystery please!?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 June 21 12:40 BST (UK) »
But 75 Brandling St has a redacted person listed - this could possibly be my Nanna!!!

Hi
Welcome to Rootschat.
The redacted entry does seem to have been annotated at some time, we can see a suggestion of that in the address column. So it might be be more likely to be a female, perhaps that is part of a date or code written on notification of a change of surname.

Have you got a later address for Dorothy, perhaps on a marriage?
John

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 June 21 12:51 BST (UK) »
Maybe a loop (is that the word?) there, like the bottom of a y, almost directly under the E in Jane E.
So the name Dorothy might be a possibility. There could be something written in the Instruction column as well.

Offline KD33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 June 21 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks John - no address but I have three marriage registrations for my Nanna (Dorothy).

When Dorothy left her Dad's house she went and lived with a friend's family - their last name was Naisby. I know one was called Madge but I don't know what that is short for and there were three other sisters and an older lady they called Nanna Naisby.

She marries a Francis Davison in 1943 but has a child with another man in 1947. She then marries a John W H Youngson (and had two more children to him). Then marries my Granda - Thomas Dembry and she had three more children (one died at birth) - one of these three are my mum. On all these marriage registrations she uses Reading as her maiden name.

I told you - convoluted, haha!

My mum and I have a theory now that perhaps Nanna was taken away because her mum (Dora) passed away and that is why her Dad (Thomas Lawton) had to come and get her and why it was later in her life, perhaps this is also why the step mum didn't like my Nanna.
Dembry, Lawton, Brown, Redden/Reddon (Durham area, North East UK)

Offline KD33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 June 21 13:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can see that loop and I think you're right that there is something in the instructions.

Do you know if there is a way that I can apply to have the redactions for Dorothy removed considering she has passed? Although perhaps it will be tricky due to the many name changes and incorrect names. I may be waiting until 2024 to have access :(

Katie

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 June 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
If you have a subscription to FindMyPast you should be able to submit a death certificate and possibly other information to get it opened. 
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1939register/1939-register-getting-started
See under 'Officially closed records'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KD33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 June 21 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie. I haven't paid for a subscription to Find My Past as I had have just paid for the highest one on Ancestry. Not realising that there were so many other services. I wonder whether Ancestry will update it or have that kind of option?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 28 June 21 14:36 BST (UK) »
I think it can only be done by findmypast or TNA.
But TNA would charge quite a bit of money.

I don't know much about findmypast, not being a subscriber, but in Rosie's link they say "we can accept scans of death certificates as evidence of death."

Do you know anyone who is a subscriber? Could they submit it for you (presuming you have it)? :-\

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 28 June 21 14:49 BST (UK) »

Nov 16th 1915 - Dorothy May Brown married John J.H. Redden.
Oct 21st 1918 - John J.H Redden went to lodge with a Mrs. Brown, she was not Dorothy, she was another lady coincidentally having the same surname as Dorothy.  (Dorothy would have been Mrs. Redden by this time)
Dec 21st 1918 - John J.H. Redden bigamously married Ann, the daughter of Mrs. Brown who he was lodging with.  Mrs. Brown was old enough to have a daughter of marrying age - so not Dorothy.

I think the newspaper has made a mistake here and repeated the surname BROWN when it should have been 'Mrs BARKER'.

Marriages Dec 1918

REDDEN,    John H
BARKER,  Ann
Tadcaster    9c   1690

The BARKER family were living at Strawberry Avenue, Garforth in 1911, the same address as given in the news item.

Debra  :)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 June 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
Well spotted, Debra.
Presuming that John was the John James Henry Redden registered June 1891, Guisbrough, and he was 24 on the 1915 marriage at Shadforth (found by avm), then his age (34) is well out in the 1919 newspaper report found by Jool

It looks likely he was illegitimate (more mystery?)

I can also see that the Shadforth marriage transcript on FamilySearch has been linked to a family tree, which claims that John Reddden and Dorothy May had a son John James, born 30 April 1916 in Durham.
But the likely birth registration has Burnell as the mother's maiden name. So this must be wrong.

It made me look at births more closely, and there is this one! Is it connected?
REDDON, MARY  ANN     
Mother's Maiden Surname: BROWN 
GRO Reference: 1916  J Quarter in DURHAM  Volume 10A  Page 854