Author Topic: Dora Brown - Southwick - help me solve a mystery please!?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dora Brown - Southwick - help me solve a mystery please!?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 June 21 23:22 BST (UK) »
Notable also that the newspaper notice placed by her mother names her as Redden, not Stelling.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 June 21 23:31 BST (UK) »
The 1915 marriage was to John James Henry Redden aged 24, at Shadforth, 16 Nov 1915.

Yes, it's on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNV2-FSH

What I was getting at was if there was a marriage of a Walter Stelling to any Dorothy (M)
John

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:09 BST (UK) »
Now I'm getting confused after reading this interesting newspaper article (Leeds Mercury 13 May 1919).  Dorothy May Brown who married John James Henry Redden is referred to as Mrs Brown and she has a daughter Ann.  I think I need sleep, I'll look again with fresh eyes in the morning.

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:39 BST (UK) »
There are two male Stelling births in Sunderland, mother's maiden surname Brown.
One in March qtr 1926, and one in Dec 1927.

They may both be with Walter Stelling in 1939.
Can't give details of the 1939 Register on here. Only the free index, which has a Walter
Stelling, born 1883, living 5 Eden Place, Sunderland.

This Walter appears to be the same one who married Mary Lilian SANDERSON in 1907.  Mary was still alive in 1939 and living apart from Walter.

It might be worth contacting this person on Ancestry as they do appear to know something of the family situation considering the three children listed for Walter.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/154024036/person/342037850545/facts

Debra  :)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:45 BST (UK) »
Now I'm getting confused after reading this interesting newspaper article (Leeds Mercury 13 May 1919).  Dorothy May Brown who married John James Henry Redden is referred to as Mrs Brown and she has a daughter Ann.  I think I need sleep, I'll look again with fresh eyes in the morning.

Isn’t Mrs Brown of Garforth with the daughter Ann a different Mrs Brown? 

Offline KD33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:47 BST (UK) »
This looks like Dora's death in the newspaper - Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette 28 August 1929. The article mentions Dora's death being 15 May 1929.

Wow! What an amazing find! Thank you. Yes, this would be her. I wonder how she died? My Nanna would've been 5 when she died then. I think for my Nanna to have the memory of being taken away by her dad she must have been taken when she was at least 3.
Dembry, Lawton, Brown, Redden/Reddon (Durham area, North East UK)

Offline KD33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:53 BST (UK) »

I have Nanna's birth certificate. It lists her name as Dorothy Lawton (not sure if Lawton is a last name or a middle name?) born 28 April 1924 No father listed. Address is 35 Morgan St Southwick. Mother Dora Redden formerly Brown, Cook Domestic. I have found a birth registration that would match in April 1924 for a Dorothy L Redden in Sunderland - mother's maiden name Brown.

Welcome to rootschat

The birth certificate would not show a surname for the child it just lists the childs first name/s and the names including surname of her parents  :).  It is very likely that the Lawton name was in recognition of her father.

ADDED
You say that you cannot find your Nanna in 1939 - where and when did she marry.  If she died in Australia it is possible that her entry is still redacted as her death would not necessarily have been linked to this index

Thank you - and thank you to Pauline J for pointing this out too. I did think this could be the case. Do you know if I can send a death certificate somewhere to get the information released?

I did find a Thomas Lawton who was born in 1900 married to an Elizabeth Lawton on the 1939 record. They are living with other children and Elizabeth's mother. There are also three names redacted and I thought one of these could possibly be my Nanna. At this time Thomas Lawton was living at 36 Wraith Terrace in Durham. I couldn't find any records of Elizabeth or Thomas daughter dying at 16 of diphtheria to verify whether this could be them (as my Nanna said her sister or step sister died at 16 from diphtheria?)
Dembry, Lawton, Brown, Redden/Reddon (Durham area, North East UK)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:57 BST (UK) »

I have read through this article again paying more attention to dates, this is how I see it.

Nov 16th 1915 - Dorothy May Brown married John J.H. Redden.
Oct 21st 1918 - John J.H Redden went to lodge with a Mrs. Brown, she was not Dorothy, she was another lady coincidentally having the same surname as Dorothy.  (Dorothy would have been Mrs. Redden by this time)
Dec 21st 1918 - John J.H. Redden bigamously married Ann, the daughter of Mrs. Brown who he was lodging with.  Mrs. Brown was old enough to have a daughter of marrying age - so not Dorothy.

I can sleep now  ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 June 21 00:58 BST (UK) »

Isn’t Mrs Brown of Garforth with the daughter Ann a different Mrs Brown?

Yes mckha, you are correct - I have just worked it out before I saw your post
Robbins - Wolverhampton.