Author Topic: Traveller origins?  (Read 679 times)

Offline yiannic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Traveller origins?
« on: Monday 28 June 21 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been researching my family origins for quite some time, and have come across some info that might indicate one branch of my family (surname Simpson) being of traveller origin. This would also explain some old mysteries about this side.
One male ancestor on this particular side of the family had an address listed simply as 'Humber bank'.
Another, who married into the Simpsons, came from a line of chimney sweeps (he was a McIntosh).
Every generation of this side of the family was almost always born in a different town as well (always in the North though), however, most of the more 'recent' generations were coal miners. My great grandfather then married an Irish immigrant (Hanley family), with each member of her family being born in a different location. Is it possible that they were settled travellers?
Is this enough evidence to conclude they were travellers, in your opinion?

Thanks,
yc

Offline ali.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Traveller origins?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
I too had a branch of my family where all the children were born in different towns/cities all over the country and that was the first thing that tipped me off that they might be travellers. Eventually through newspapers and family knowledge I found out they were travelling comedians/variety show performers - but having all the members born all over the place is definitely a good indicator that they're travellers of some kind!
Noble, Bielby, Vipond - Scarborough/Whitby
Goodfellow - Shaftesbury/Cann, Dorset
Smyth, Kelly, Fearon, McAteer, Hughes - Armagh/Down

Offline yiannic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 July 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
I too had a branch of my family where all the children were born in different towns/cities all over the country and that was the first thing that tipped me off that they might be travellers. Eventually through newspapers and family knowledge I found out they were travelling comedians/variety show performers - but having all the members born all over the place is definitely a good indicator that they're travellers of some kind!
Thank you for your reply, Ali!
I hadn't thought about checking newspapers, but I think that is a good idea and my next point of research.
Very interesting that you found travelling comedians/performers!
Best wishes,
yc

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 July 21 14:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat yc.

To get a better idea I suggest you locate the families in all censuses, and look at their addresses and occupations on these as well as on as several birth and marriage certificates.

One or two examples is probably not enough to make a judgement on whether they were travellers or not.

Offline yiannic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 July 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat yc.

To get a better idea I suggest you locate the families in all censuses, and look at their addresses and occupations on these as well as on as several birth and marriage certificates.

One or two examples is probably not enough to make a judgement on whether they were travellers or not.

Thank you, Ruskie.

I will continue to compile as much information as I can before making the call.
Interestingly, since making this post in June, I have found possible reference to these ancestors in Bob Dawson's collections - the names and locations match. They don't appear to be Romany, but likely a travelling family of some variety. At the very least, a very mobile family.
Best,
yc