Author Topic: Elizabeth Browning - who is she?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Browning - who is she?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 05:23 BST (UK) »
Just found the baptism record of James Brown, son of William and Frances, and baptised 16 July 1721 in West Malling.  He is the only Brown born to this couple within 10 years either side of 1721. Is this likely to be James Browning?
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 09:36 BST (UK) »
The only baptisms in West Malling for William and Frances were James Brown, John Browning in 1723 and Edward Browning in 1725, and so probably the same family.

I have noticed before that, particularly in the upper classes, the parents' names could be on the burial register.

William Browning was buried on 24th April 1748 and Frances, widow of William, on 1st February 1748/9.

James on on 5th February 1748/9 is unlikely to be their infant son, because of their ages.

If they were upper class, there might be a memorial in the church.

David

P.S. Ther is a tree which has the family of Edward, the son of William and Frances, but doesn't show the siblings - https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/32108059/family?cfpid=332003367637

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 10:46 BST (UK) »
Looks like it is the bapt of James to me :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
And here from https://www.kentarchives.org.uk/collections/getrecord/GB51_P243_13_A_2_2 is the following information. It looks like William and Frances are from Bristol, and he is a Yeoman, already with 2 sons, William and Thomas.

In Bedminster, Somerset I can find the marriage record of William Browning to Frances Snailum in 1714, and the birth of a son William in Bristol to just William (mother not given) in 1715. No sign of a Thomas however.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 15:01 BST (UK) »
  So he was removed from Bristol to West Malling as I understand it? That must have been his parish of settlement? There was a William baptised 1689 at Shipbourne, a few miles from West Malling.
   I am not expert in removal and settlement, but it seems a bit odd for a yeoman to be removed.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire