Author Topic: Help with Esther Hunt/Button puzzle please  (Read 260 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with Esther Hunt/Button puzzle please
« on: Monday 28 June 21 13:06 BST (UK) »
Esther Hunt the daughter of Thomas and Esther Hunt was baptised in Leicester St Nicholas in 1788 and married William Price by licence in the same church in 1807. (Her age proves it to be her.)

In 1819 Esther Hunt daughter of Thomas and Ann was baptised in Leicester St Margaret and Esther Hunt daughter of William and Sarah was baptised in Leicester St Nicholas. I think that these Hunt fathers were brothers of Esther 1788.

Easter Hunt married Thomas Wildbur in Leicester St Mary in 1837 (just prior to civil registration). Her presence, aged 20, in the 1841 Census in Red Cross Street, Leicester, with Sarah Hunt, aged 45, seems to prove her parentage.

What I canít work out is who was the Esther Hunt, spinster, who married Thomas Button in Leicester All Saints in 1828. Both were living in Blackfriars at the time. It may or may not be significant that this is where William and Sarah were living when their daughter Esther was baptised in 1819.

Esther bride of Thomas Button clearly cannot be the daughter of Thomas and Ann, baptised 1819, unless she was baptised as an older child: Thomas and Ann married in 1810 (in St Nicholas, the place of baptism of Esther, Thomas and William).

What seems particularly confusing, but may be a red herring, is that in Red Cross Street in 1841, next door to (or in the same house as?) Sarah Hunt, is Ann Button (? -writing not entirely clear), aged 7 months ???
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor Whybrow; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bennet Bentley Crisp Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Seel Taylor Woodward Wright; LINCS: Buswell Lambert Mitchell Muse Sayers; OXON: Barnett Beacham; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Esther Hunt/Button puzzle please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 June 21 13:10 BST (UK) »
ok, so what wa the MMN of the 7-month-old in the 1841 census?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 June 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
I cant see a Bapt or Birth Reg for Ann age 7 mths in 1841 but surname looks like Buxton to me.

1851 we have;
Elizabeth Buxton 33
Ann Buxton 10
Elizabeth Buxton 6
William H Buxton 5 mths

BUXTON, WILLIAM  HENRY  no mmn   - 
GRO Reference: 1850  D Quarter in LEICESTER  Volume 15  Page 132

BUXTON, ELIZABETH no mmn      - 
GRO Reference: 1844  J Quarter in LEICESTER UNION  Volume 15  Page 124

1841 we have;
Ann Buxton   60
Elizabeth Buxton 25
Ann Buxton   7 mths

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 June 21 14:23 BST (UK) »
The two 1819 baptisms
Esther Hunt
21st February 1819
Leicester St Nicholas
William & Sarah, a hawker of Blackfryars
and
Esther Hunt
26th April 1819
Leicester St Margaret
Thomas & Anne, a wool sorter of York Street

There is this burial age 1
Esther Hunt
8th October 1820
Leicester St Nicholas
York Street, London Road

Hester Milbourne (X) was a witness at the marriage of William Hunt age 20 to Mary Jarvis in 1839. His father was William Hunt, a traveller and address was Red Cross Street.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 June 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this help. It seems therefore that the people next door in Red Cross Street in the 1841 Census are not relevant. I hadnít realised that the Esther daughter of Thomas and Ann died at 1 year old, but I think that the fact that she was buried at St Nicholas, which is not in the parish of abode, but the church most connected with ďmyĒ Hunts, reinforces the likelihood that Thomas was the son of Thomas and Esther, brother of William and Esther.

I canít seem to find a likely baptism for Esther Hunt wife of Joshua Button, but at least I now know that  Ann Button is really Ann Buxton.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor Whybrow; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bennet Bentley Crisp Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Seel Taylor Woodward Wright; LINCS: Buswell Lambert Mitchell Muse Sayers; OXON: Barnett Beacham; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 June 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
I see now that an Esther Hunt was baptised in Wigston, Leicestershire, in 1811 who was probably the bride of Thomas Button. In 1841 and 1851 Esther Button, born about 1811, in Wigston according to the 1851 Census, was living in St Margaretís, Leicester. No husband is present in either record, but the 1851 entry says she is married. By one of those odd coincidences, she was visiting the Ireland household. ďMyĒ Esthers were descended from Esther Hunt, nee Irish. (Not sure if the surname Irish had any connection with the Irish people, since it seems to go right back into the 16th in Leicestershire.)

Dave :)