Author Topic: Lateral flow tests - how good are they?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lateral flow tests - how good are they?
« on: Tuesday 29 June 21 10:40 BST (UK) »
Not very, is my answer.   Let me tell you why.

My daughter and I were about to set off on a long-planned journey to visit relatives 300 miles away in Cumbria.  Just as we were leaving the house she received a phone call from her boss to tell her that one of her work colleagues had tested positive for Covid-19.  She had already arranged to pick up her children from school early, so we had to collect them, but she took a lateral flow test before we left to do that.  It showed negative.  At her workplace they take lateral flow tests twice a week and she had been negative all the time.  We picked up the children and sat in the car debating what to do, then rang our Cumbrian relatives and cancelled the trip.  Early the following morning she took a PCR test which showed her to be positive.  The lateral flow test was still showing negative and has continued to do so for several days now since the PCR test. I also took a PCR test since I had been in close contact with her for a couple of hours.  Luckily it was negative, but I am now keeping out of everyone's way in Covid quarantine for 10 days.

She has now lost all faith in the lateral flow tests.  We are now wondering whether these large gatherings (football matches, Wimbledon, concerts, etc.) which require a negative test result from attendees are actually demanding PCR tests or just lateral flow tests.  If the latter, expect an increase in the number of infections recorded - oh, wait a minute, isn't that what is happening now.....?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lateral flow tests - how good are they?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 12:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gadget.  That's very interesting.  I have looked at the box of lateral flow tests issued by the NHS and find that they were manufactured under contract to the DHSC by a firm in China for the NHS Test & Trace (Xiamen Biotime Biotechnology Co. Ltd).

5 days quarantine and counting and so far no symptoms and no positive result for me.  My daughter also has no symptoms and is not enjoying her isolation in her bedroom.  Meanwhile her husband is looking after her children, both under 10, the house and his business.  (Now he knows what it has been like for her, juggling home schooling, home and job! :) )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
lateral flow are a worthwhile tool in that they will pick up the majority of +ves.

That alone reduces the chance of onward transmission.
We cannot assume at any event/occasion even where everyone has has a -ve test result that the result was 100% accurate, and we should still treat everything and everyone as a festering cesspit of infection.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Not easy if all covid regs are withdrawn on July 19th.  Presumably can no longer expect or ask people to remain 2m distance and no mask wearing.  Even if one continues to wear a mask onself we have been told countless times that it does not protect the wearer but everyone else - so why would one want to continue to wear one?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:15 BST (UK) »
Not easy if all covid regs are withdrawn on July 19th.  Presumably can no longer expect or ask people to remain 2m distance and no mask wearing.  Even if one continues to wear a mask onself we have been told countless times that it does not protect the wearer but everyone else - so why would one want to continue to wear one?

Pheno

BIB - Only that is not wholly correct.

As is being reported on the news and in papers today it is the type of mask that determines how useful they are or not.

It appears that the FFP3 (see article) can be up to 100 per cent effective for the wearer

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qph/
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:19 BST (UK) »
I was aware of this issue but still took it to be more effective for the wearer not to transmit, having caught from a patient.  At least that was the slant being put on it on the radio this morning.

However, if not, how many people are going to go around wearing one of those type of fully enclosed filter masks?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 June 21 14:34 BST (UK) »

As is being reported on the news and in papers today it is the type of mask that determines how useful they are or not.

It appears that the FFP3 (see article) can be up to 100 per cent effective for the wearer

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qph/

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827641.msg6916306#msg6916306

Add - I recall that there were possibly a couple more threads on FFP3s, etc. around the same time.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 10:13 BST (UK) »
lateral flow are a worthwhile tool in that they will pick up the majority of +ves.

That alone reduces the chance of onward transmission.
We cannot assume at any event/occasion even where everyone has has a -ve test result that the result was 100% accurate, and we should still treat everything and everyone as a festering cesspit of infection.

Pauline

It would appear that the results from Phase One Test Events were not quite as positive as reported.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/opinion/uk-covid-test-events-euros-results-wembley-erp-2021
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk