Author Topic: Stupid Question  (Read 1315 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Question
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 10:45 BST (UK) »
I should have explained that using the highest resolution would enable you to tweak the scans at some time in the future if you needed to to compensate for deterioration in the originals or to clarify difficult to read handwriting.

I save scans in JPEG format and with the highest resolution have been able to enlarge old photos and eliminate aging defects plus adjust contrast/lightness/colour/sharpness etc.  Useful when dealing with old text documents too.

I use JPEGs as the graphics programme I use for photos and documents works best with those; it has reasonably good photo editing facilities built in, sufficient for my needs.  I don't know which file format is best for photo editing programmes as I have no experience of using them.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 June 21 11:46 BST (UK) »
Resolution - it’s universally accepted, in photographic circles, that it’s impossible to appreciate an increase in quality when comparing scans at 300 DPI with those at higher figures.

For most purposes, you’re unlikely to see any difference over 250 DPI and that’s for photographic quality. If you’re talking about graphic images - certificates etc. - you’ll get away perfectly well with 150 DPI and if you’re only ever going to look at them on a monitor 75 DPI will probably do.

I’m talking here of 1:1 scans; i.e. assuming you’re reproducing the original at life size. If you want to reproduce something at, say, twice the size, simply double the scanning resolution from 300 to 600 DPI.

JPEGs - the JPEG (or .jpg) format is known as a “lossy” format. It is widely used to reduce the file size of an original - for downloading, uploading to sites like Rootschat, or sending to somebody in an email. The original scanned image is compressed by effectively throwing away information contained in the image thereby producing a file of more modest size.

There are several ways of doing this and for the purposes of this board these are irrelevant but the problem is that, once the information is lost, you can’t get it back. You can apply various levels of compression and, for most purposes, you’ll not notice but in an over compressed image, things tend to break up and look ragged - known as jpg artifacts.

The real problem comes if you take a JPEG image, do some work on it and save it again as a JPEG image. You will effectively be more than doubling the problem so, if it’s pure quality you're looking for avoid JPEGs.

What’s the solution? Simple, use something like TIFF and, if you need a smaller file, make a JPEG from that but keep the original. Most professionals use Photoshop and that has it’s own industry standard file format PSD. Serious photographers save their originals as RAW image files and work on them at home. Cameras that only produce JPEG files take the RAW image and decide for themselves what is best for the image.

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 July 21 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, I really struggled with this because, though I have scans of everything the originals are so precious and its down to me to ensure the survive as long as possible.
Thanks, Luke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 July 21 00:02 BST (UK) »
Resolution - it’s universally accepted, in photographic circles, that it’s impossible to appreciate an increase in quality when comparing scans at 300 DPI with those at higher figures.

For most purposes, you’re unlikely to see any difference over 250 DPI and that’s for photographic quality. If you’re talking about graphic images - certificates etc. - you’ll get away perfectly well with 150 DPI and if you’re only ever going to look at them on a monitor 75 DPI will probably do.

I’m talking here of 1:1 scans; i.e. assuming you’re reproducing the original at life size. If you want to reproduce something at, say, twice the size, simply double the scanning resolution from 300 to 600 DPI.

JPEGs - the JPEG (or .jpg) format is known as a “lossy” format. It is widely used to reduce the file size of an original - for downloading, uploading to sites like Rootschat, or sending to somebody in an email. The original scanned image is compressed by effectively throwing away information contained in the image thereby producing a file of more modest size.

There are several ways of doing this and for the purposes of this board these are irrelevant but the problem is that, once the information is lost, you can’t get it back. You can apply various levels of compression and, for most purposes, you’ll not notice but in an over compressed image, things tend to break up and look ragged - known as jpg artifacts.

The real problem comes if you take a JPEG image, do some work on it and save it again as a JPEG image. You will effectively be more than doubling the problem so, if it’s pure quality you're looking for avoid JPEGs.

What’s the solution? Simple, use something like TIFF and, if you need a smaller file, make a JPEG from that but keep the original. Most professionals use Photoshop and that has it’s own industry standard file format PSD. Serious photographers save their originals as RAW image files and work on them at home. Cameras that only produce JPEG files take the RAW image and decide for themselves what is best for the image.

"my middle name is "Youjustmissedit".

Yesterday I noticed I had several duplicate images in my genealogy folders and decided to keep the jpegs and delete the TIFFS !!!   :-\ :'( :-X :-[

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke